Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What plans do you have for kornos in you setup
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a pretty even balance thus far between live use and studio use. Interesting, as I suspect this was designed and marketed mainly for live use (emphasis on typical gigging instruments: pianos, EPs, organs; smooth sound transition; set list function, etc.). When it's all said and done, I'm guessing well over 50% of Kronos buyers will be purchasing mainly for live use...
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have it out and gigging as soon as possible. I'm hoping it arrives at a time when I can take a week off work to get to grips with it.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CfNorENa wrote:
Looks like a pretty even balance thus far between live use and studio use. Interesting, as I suspect this was designed and marketed mainly for live use (emphasis on typical gigging instruments: pianos, EPs, organs; smooth sound transition; set list function, etc.). When it's all said and done, I'm guessing well over 50% of Kronos buyers will be purchasing mainly for live use...

Yes - very interesting split. Great to see such robust gigging going on and a lot of this forum made up of live players- and the Kronos slotting right into that purpose. There should be some interesting reporting coming back to this forum once they are starting to be used in that way.

But equally interesting to see a similar number integrating it into a DAW environment so looks like that DAW software is going to be put to use fairly rapidly too.

Wonder if there's anyone getting the Kronos as their only keyboard or as a standalone solution? I've put my OASYS through its paces in this regard and have 'optimised' it for that purpose. It's a breath of fresh air just to power only it on, and develop a work around only its resources - it's tight, neat and very flexible.
TSUNAMI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine will be used for gigging and studio work ....

My 61 will sit atop my S90xs
13in Retina MacBook Pro, Quadcore i5 27in 8GB iMac, Logic Studio 9.1, Ableton Live9, Push, Volca Beats, Korg KRONOS 61, Korg Arp odyssey, Roland D50, Yamaha SY85, Moog Sub37, Roland TR8, Roland SP808, Korg NanoPad2, Eventide H9, Presonus 1602, Alesis M1 MkII, Yamaha APX5, Fender Splattercaster, DrumKat DK10, 1000 miles of cable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TSUNAMI on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wonder if there's anyone getting the Kronos as their only keyboard or as a standalone solution?

Actually I'm using my Korg M50 currently as only audio source, I only have another keyboard as slave for extra keys. (Almost) never ran into problems for polyphony and I like stacking.

The main advantage over older (max 8 program in a combi) synths is that I now can more easily stack.

I have tried to gig with 1 synth but that didn't work out (I have too many changes in a song ... maybe if I would have both a Program up AND down via a foot switch it could be possible.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bach42t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have advanced beyond reading material for use in my second bathroom, but I think a 61-Key version maybe what I need to fit in there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be using the Kronos for both live and composing/recording. It will greatly simplify my rig in both areas as well, allowing me to get rid of a bunch of stuff that, frankly, doesn't sound as good and isn't nearly as well integrated for live use.

I'm struggling with keeping my MOSSified Karma or not, or any of the other Korg gear listed in my sig. I might even toss my Komplete Receptor.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a keyboardist on a worship team. Composer. Producer. Engineer. My Kronos will find its way on to stage and into the studio.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wonder if there's anyone getting the Kronos as their only keyboard or as a standalone solution?

Kronos will be my first workstation or hardware synth. I'm currently gigging with an 11 year old Yamaha rompler, and I've really been struggling with its limitations for a long time now. I've been waiting for the right workstation to come along before parting with huge amounts of money, and the Kronos ticks most of the boxes.

The K-61 will be my only audio source for most gigs. I'll sometimes use different slaves, depending on the gig (keytar, weighted, extra unweighted).

Quote:
... maybe if I would have both a Program up AND down via a foot switch it could be possible.

Yes, it is unfortunate that you can't do that. I'd like to be able to alternate between two progs a few times with the footswitch.
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many here, I will be using Kronos for live gigs as well as studio and songwriting purposes. Until I purchased a Kurzweil PC3 a year and a half ago, my main ax was the Fantom X8. I still use, love it, but the weird thing is that effects on patches the X series do NOT carry over to what Roland call "performances." I feel as though the Fantom X series at least made the workflow between playing live and sequencing a bit troublesome. The Fantom G series apparently takes care of this but, the sound engine is really no better IMHO than the X series. In addition, Roland gets at least from me a huge fail in that their most touted technology, ARX, was never developed. Roland had a chance to be Kronos/Oasys and blew it.

Synthesis wise I believe that the combination of even just the Kronos with the PC3 should provide an immensely deep environment for patch creation. Yes I am tweak head like may Kurzweil owners! Cool

Kronos is the first Korg I have purchased since the Wavestation and it feels like I am returning home in a sense. I used to be heavily Korg at one time having owned DW-8000, Korg X3, DSS-1 (lol what a BEAST), and a Poly 800.

It will be interesting to see what Yamaha and Roland will answer with in terms of workstations. Kurzweil makes great instruments that are unfathomably powerful but unless Kurzweil changes its byzantine interface I still see the "big three" ruling the hardware workstation environment.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
DocAtlas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For home studio use, I just need to arrange the physical space (since I can't afford it for about a year, I figure I've got the time to make the room), and make sure I have a free USB port. For gigging, it'll take the place of my Triton, which will move to its new home here at er, um, home. The Kronos will go to rehearsals and gigs, then come home for recording.

For smaller gigs, I'd use the Kronos 61 with a second keyboard beneath. For bigger gigs, the Kronos would join my BX-3 and K2600S. I know the Kronos has an enhanced version of the same engine in the BX-3, but I really prefer having dual waterfall keyboards and two sets of real drawbars. In either setup, I would disable the rotor on the organ sounds and route them from one of the individual outs to the rotor on my amp. The CX-3 rotor is good, but it's just not quite the same as the real thing.

I don't really need the 73 or 88 note versions; I have an 88 note controller here at home, and the Kurzweil has 76 keys, which is plenty for live use, since one of my hands is usually on another keyboard anyway.

One of the music stores here in Pittsburgh got the Kronos in on Tuesday, so I'm going to go down tomorrow to check it out. The other big store in the city told me today that they aren't carrying stuff like that any more, and sure enough, the keyboard department link on their web site leads to a missing page. And a call to one of the Guitar Centers in town confirmed that they aren't going to stock it locally, only at the few largest stores in the country. I'm glad someone is stocking it.
Korg BX3; Korg Triton (classic) w/MOSS, Studio Essentials & Vintage Archives; Korg N5EX; Korg O3RW; Kurzweil K2600s; Kurzweil 1000GX;Hammond C3 & Leslie 145; Farfisa Fast 3; Sequential Pro-One; Moog Liberation; Emu Proteus 3; Emu Planet Earth w/Vintage Expansion; Roland JV-880; Yamaha Motif Rack; Yamaha DX21; Yamaha TX216; Yamaha TX81Z; Yamaha TG77.
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
DaveBoulden wrote:
I shall be using a K73 primarily in my covers/function band. It will replace my current M3-88 and will sit below a Roland Fantom X7..

Out of curiosity - why the K73 and not the K88?

I must admit - the Muse Receptor is an interesting product given the current power under the hood and vast range of VST's. any idea what the latency is like at high voice counts?

I can get by without the very top octave and I'm more than pleased with the lesser weight to be lugged around! When gigging with the band, everything goes to the venue in a van, but if I ever use the K73 for work outside of the band, a K73 is more likely to fit in my car than a K88.

Latency on the Receptor was actually pretty good, even at high voice counts, though that was also dependent upon the VSTi being used, ROMpler style VSTis being much kinder to voice counts than modelled VSTis... it could be finely tuned due to the task specific stripped back OS, in very much a similar way to the Oasys or Kronos OS. For me, however, the Kronos will give me the options I was trying to achieve with a Receptor, V-Machine or self-build stage PC, just in a far more reliable all-in-one package.
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: For Live Use Reply with quote

I canceled my pre order but will get the Kronos 61 in about 2 months. Will use to run sample sounds primarily, with some sax and hopefully a good brass. Will use Kronos on top and my M3 73 at bottom using splits. Club managers and owners love to see new gear in your set up. At least where my gigs are, southern USA and Mexico.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: