Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about using 2 Korgs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Questions about using 2 Korgs Reply with quote

Currently I am using a Korg M50 as only sound source during live gigs connected to a Korg Triton Extreme 61 (TEX) via MIDI. So the TEX is just a slave (MIDI) keyboard.

Eventually I want to use the new Kronos (or my current M50) together with the TEX. However, I have some questions:

- Is it a good idea to reroute the M50 through the TEX or when I have the Kronos, to reroute the TEX to the Kronos (via the sampling inputs)? I have tried it (with the TEX) but never tried it live, wondering if people use this feature live.

- Or is it better to use a small mixer? I have seen a small DAP SC-3 mixer but I wonder if the sound quality is good enough for the Kronos (or Tex)? Or can I better use a better brand small mixer. The advantage of the DAP is that it is really small and I don't want to extend my live gear more than necessary. The DAP would fit on a synth, a small mixer I have to put on the floor somewhere.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends upon what you want to achieve. Currently, you have the M50 and TEX tethered via MIDI. But, it sounds like you're contemplating routing audio from the TEX into the Kronos and, therefore, not have the boards interact in a master/slave setup.

If you want an audio-only solution, then a small mixer might be a good way to go. Take a look at the Mackie VLZ3 series. I have the 802-VLZ3, which has a small footprint and convenient I/O flexibility:

Mackie 802-VLZ3 | Sweetwater.com

The overall sound quality is very good, considering the price-point.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I indeed don't want a master/slave setup, however I still want both machines to be connected via MIDI (so I can decide if I want to hear Kronos sounds when playing the TEX or vice versa). And I also need the MIDI for the pedal board I use (wondering how easy it will be to control both Korg's including retaining the MIDI in/out without using external MIDI combiner devices).

The Mackie looks good; however I already have a small mixer (even a bit smaller than the Mackie), but still it is quite big. I have to put it either on the floor or buy a new stand and I don't like both solutions. The DAP I have seen is really small but I wonder about the sound quality.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: