Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need a DAW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Need a DAW Reply with quote

I'm trying to pick out a DAW. So far, all I've ever used has been Cakewalk Music Creator [very glitchy >Sad ] and GarageBand (very limited).

Some main features I like are:
-Support for AUs or VSTis
-Prepackaged softsynths
-Drum synth/Easy to create MIDI drum panel
-Low Price
-Preferably runs on a Mac

I've been eyeing FL studio, but I've been told it's not a 'professional' DAW so I'm not sure about it.

Any ideas would be nice Smile
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm personally a Cubase user (got it when I was on the PC, now i've got a mac and it runs even more beautifully on there).

But I would really recommend Apple's Logic. It comes with some great instruments (even the express version, including samples and drums), features like input quantizing, supports AUs but not VSTs.

It also only runs on the Mac. So if you are working on multiple machines and like to easilly transfer your work depending on what you are doing, then I'd recommend cubase, which is feature-wise on a par with Logic now, however the instruments it comes with aren't so great.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe Reaper is good for you... you can try it for free.
Regards, Lorenzo
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
I'm personally a Cubase user (got it when I was on the PC, now i've got a mac and it runs even more beautifully on there).

But I would really recommend Apple's Logic. It comes with some great instruments (even the express version, including samples and drums), features like input quantizing, supports AUs but not VSTs.

It also only runs on the Mac. So if you are working on multiple machines and like to easilly transfer your work depending on what you are doing, then I'd recommend cubase, which is feature-wise on a par with Logic now, however the instruments it comes with aren't so great.

I don't have an intel mac, so i can't run the latest logic.
Should I go with cubase?
And all I really care about for a good instrument is a nice techno/electronica drum kit (snaps, clicks, claps etc.)
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you using any external synths or only controllers?
you could check out Reason.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
are you using any external synths or only controllers?
you could check out Reason.

Mainly an external synth that I will be purchasing soon (R3 or MK)

The only softsynths I plan on using are drum kits, and the occasional piano (for maybe 1 or 2 songs)
candlewick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been test driving Reaper and have been very impressed with it. Give it a look !!!!!!!!!!!

Cool Cool

"I Need More Cowbell!!"
-Todd

TritonLE76,X3R, M50-61, TD6V V-drum module w/ Pintech Mesh Triggers
Cardinal Fang

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add Sonar to the list - every bit as good as Cubase.
Crystalmsc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Ableton Live a try, it's my software to go these days. Download the demo and if you like it, the APC-40 or Launchpad controller even come with their free edition of Live 8, which is more or less a Live Intro.
Korg: Wavedrum/Mini/Global, MS-20m, Volca Beats/Bass/Key, Trinity Pro, Karma + Moss Board, 01R/W, Wavestation/SR/EX, microKORG XL, Kaossilator Pro, iKaossilator, Kaoss Pad Quad, Monotribe, Monotron/duo/delay, DS-10, Korg Collection V2, Korg Gadget, microKEY25
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: