Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

List of tested MIDI controllers for iMS20.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outbackyak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bklein wrote:
I just received a MS20 controller as part of the Legacy kit.
It does not function with the iMS20 due to the power fault.
I would like confirmation of just what reliably works. Does a powered hub? A Y cable (aux to charger or pc)? Is the ipad choking due to the power, or is it that it refuses to support the device because the device reports it takes too much power? I'm thinking of making a custom Y cable - MS20 Vbus to charger (5V supply), data only to Ipad conn. kit.... As no power Vbus from/to ipad it may play nice.

Let us know how this project goes. Sounds interesting, and if it works it might help other people with related issues.
bklein

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the new 4.x OS Apple restricted Vbus sourcing to 20mA max.
With the older OS you had 100mA.
So an isolated Vbus 5V source or powered hub will be necessary to power the MS20 or whatever you intend to connect.
Note - a common Y cable for hard drives is not appropriate, as you want to isolate the Ipad from sourcing or connecting to your alternate 5V source.

Barry
outbackyak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bklein wrote:
With the new 4.x OS Apple restricted Vbus sourcing to 20mA max.
With the older OS you had 100mA.
So an isolated Vbus 5V source or powered hub will be necessary to power the MS20 or whatever you intend to connect.
Note - a common Y cable for hard drives is not appropriate, as you want to isolate the Ipad from sourcing or connecting to your alternate 5V source.

Barry

Tell me more about this VBus 5V source - I know nothing about it, and searching has not made me any the wiser.

Is this a way to get extra power to peripherals connected to the iPad by the Camera Kit, and if so are there battery-powered VBus versions available?

I need extra power for my Shure X2u XLR-USB Signal Adapter so I can connect non-USB microphones via the camera kit. See my post on the previous page - this is for location audio recording so a hub is useless to me.

Any help greatly appreciated!
bklein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made up the Y cable and I still get the power fault with no successful operation on the iPad. If someone has it working, post the details. If using a powered hub, which one?
My MS-20 has never been verified on my system as I haven't installed the software yet. However it is recognized as a USB audio device and seen in USBVIEW.

Barry
bklein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an old (pre My Book) WDC external drive (I was on the development team) that has a built-in powered hub. This makes the MS20 work. The iPad must be "looking" at how much power a device says it will require or whether it is a self-powered device or bus-powered device, or both. Other sources say the latest OS wants only to work with devices under 20mA. This isn't much. So you need to stick a powered hub inbetween for your best shot at running external things on the Connection kit. There are things like battery packs that try and act as substitutes for the Vbus power usually sourced by the host. But these apparently will not work as you need the hub inbetween to report to the connection kit self-powered. You could likely use a battery pack thing and simple selfpowered hub - but someone would have to try and report the outcome.... I don't have one.
outbackyak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bklein wrote:
I found an old (pre My Book) WDC external drive (I was on the development team) that has a built-in powered hub. This makes the MS20 work. The iPad must be "looking" at how much power a device says it will require or whether it is a self-powered device or bus-powered device, or both. Other sources say the latest OS wants only to work with devices under 20mA. This isn't much. So you need to stick a powered hub inbetween for your best shot at running external things on the Connection kit. There are things like battery packs that try and act as substitutes for the Vbus power usually sourced by the host. But these apparently will not work as you need the hub inbetween to report to the connection kit self-powered. You could likely use a battery pack thing and simple selfpowered hub - but someone would have to try and report the outcome.... I don't have one.

Thanks for that info - I know little about USB or how it works. I just stick the plugs in LOL.
outbackyak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the most complete list I can find for USB controllers that do, or do not work with the iPad. http://iosmidi.com/devices/

I'm not sure if by "do not work", they mean "definitely does not work, period", or "we haven't yet been able to get it to work".

Whether all the controllers that are listed as working will also definitely work with the iMS-20 is another question altogether ... [EDIT: note that these devices listed are ones that have been tested as working with the MIDI Touch app.]

Hope this helps!
monoRAIL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just successfully tested the M-Audio Axiom 61 (1st Gen) with the camera connection kit and iMS-20. It only worked with a powered USB hub, without the powered hub the iPad gave an error message saying the device used too much power.

Note that in the list posted above (http://iosmidi.com/devices/) it says the Axiom 25 (1st Gen) doesn't work. I'm guessing it probably does work but they didn't try it with a powered USB hub.
dirtyburger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Nanopad, Nanokontrol and Nanokeys all running together Reply with quote

Can confirm all working together thru camera kit and powered USB hub.

Had to manually configure the Kontrol and drums with Kontrol editor software, but quite pleased with the results, enables me to have 8 different notes for each drum (including original).

Shame not everything is accessible via midi Sad

Keep on twisting and patching Wink
Tom_1970

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my Doepfer Dark Time sequencer today.
After and testing and playing around I connected it to the iPad (USB cable and camera connection kit).

It works!!!

I can control iMS20 and all the other apps with it.
StatusWest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Akai MPK Mini Reply with quote

Akai's MPK mini works fabulously too.
Although setting it up was a crazy venture.
Zapparelli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Powered USB hubs to KLC Controller Reply with quote

I just picked up a KLC Legacy Controller MS-20. At first it needed more power. Since the Korg controller only had a USB out I was confused . It worked with the Legacy software hooked up to the laptop no problem.

I just wanted it to work with my IMS -20 on my IPad . All the so called experts had no idea. The GigaWare 4-port USB desktop Hub model 26-160. Win 98/ XP and Mac Os 9 and above. I run XP Service pack 2.
It controls the IMS great. Even the 1/8 " patch cords work.
I am by no means a tech person, cept for music. It took a little trial and error. I first used a PS3 Keytar ( battery powered) and it worked ok.
I really wanted to use the Legacy controller. I knew it worked. I saw YouTube Video from Japan. I did not see their setup.

The specs are USB 2, speeds supported 480Mps, 12 Mps,1.5 Mps
Supply current 500 mA max High power. 100 mA Maslow power.
2006 Radio Shack Customer relations Ft. Worth, Tx ( 817-415-3200.
Don't ask the snarky geeks. Best of luck to you.
musicman2011

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+! to the MS20 controller with a little 4 port powered USB hub and the IMS-20. All the MIDI CCs are sent fromt he hardware controller

also my Casio Privia PX3 USB out plugs directly into the camera kit and controls the software
Scott M2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Best Buy (here in Toronto) I bought a Dynex 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub (DX-B4PORT) and now the MS-20 controller works perfectly with my iPAD iMS-20.
Zapparelli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Powered USB hub Reply with quote

Scott M2 wrote:
At Best Buy (here in Toronto) I bought a Dynex 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub (DX-B4PORT) and now the MS-20 controller works perfectly with my iPAD iMS-20.
Quote:
exe lent! Great news!
Hooked up another Keyboard Controller to my powered USB . I hope they don't fry. Seems risky to connect multiple keyboards. I have my Roland Workstation JW -50 ( circa ' 93 ) to try next. I am going to try the Dynex as a backup just in case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: