Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg M50 and external sequencer workflow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
useron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Korg M50 and external sequencer workflow Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I'm a newbie and I have recently bought a Korg M50. The M50 sequencer is great but it's far away from the easy of use of any computer based sequencer (Cubase, Sonar,...).

Therefore I'd like to know the basic workflow of sequencing in (for example) Cubase and then transfering the song created in Cubase to the M50.

By now what I have achieved:

1.- Cubase. I create a new song
2.- M50. I switch to sequencer mode
3.- Cubase. VST Instrument - Add M50 Plug In Editor
4.- M50. I assign an instrument to each track
5.- Cubase. I create as many MIDI tracks as M50 tracks. I assign to each Cubase track the MIDI channel associated to the M50 track.
6.- Cubase. I start sequencing
7.- Cubase. Finished song
8.- ??????

I don't know how to transfer the sequenced song created in Cubase to the M50.

I have some ideas but I don't know if they are correct. For example, sync (not sure exactly how) Cubase (master) and M50 (slave), click record (Multi REC) in M50, and play in Cubase, then wait to the end of the song. Is this OK? Are there other easier/faster ways?

Thank you very much.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're planning on exporting your final song as a WAV, MP3 or etc file that others can listen to that uses the M50's sounds, then you'll need to record the output of your M50, either into your software directly, or into another recording device like a hard disk recorder or tape deck.

So you need to connect the Main Outputs (Left and Right) into your Audio Interface or Sound Card. Set up a stereo audio track in the software and select your audio interface or soundcard ports as the input for that track. Finally, hit record in your DAW. The other MIDI tracks should play back triggering the M50 sounds, which will go out the main outs and be recorded into your audio track.

Then really you should begin mixing your track.

Alternatively at this point if you want all the effects of program mode, or want to use multiple combis in your recording, you could go and 'solo' each of the MIDI tracks recording from the respective program or combi mode rather than using the 'flat' effectless sounds from Song mode.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
useron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick response.

What I want is not to record the output of the M50 but utilize Cubase as main sequencer but after finishing the song don't use Cubase anymore (I don't want to go to a gig with the M50 and a laptop, but only the M50).

So what I need is to transfer the sequence created with Cubase to the M50 internal sequencer. Wink
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, right.

Well the easiest solution would be to hit record on the M50 and hit play in your DAW (cubase).

Alternatively, you could save the whole sequence to a MIDI file, put it on the SD card and put that in your M50.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
useron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so easy unfortunately. Crying or Very sad

First of all, I'm not sure if I have to use M50 Editor Plugin as VST Instrument (which are the benefits?) or simply use Cubase MIDI output associated to the M50 (it also works, and it's simplier).

Secod, "hit record on the M50 and hit play in your DAW (cubase)". Once time I achieved it sucessfully following page 140 of the Parameter Guide, however since then I haven't been able to reproduce it again.

I haven't tried the MIDI way, but it seems to be a little boring... I have to extract the SD card, put into a card reader in to my PC, copy and then go back. Why can't I access SD card through the USB cable connected?

Please, do you know any approved workflow document / video for sequencing from external sequencer? I'm very surprised that it doesn't exist. Is it so easy? Nobody sequence from external sequencer?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VST instrument plugin simply allows you to assign all the program assignments, effects routings and the rest of the sequencer mode setup (drum track, arpeggiator, tone adjust, etc) and save it with your project rather than having to save a seperate sequencer file on your SD card.

I don't know why you can't access the card from the computer, probably something to do with the way they are connected internally or just because it was too much effort for a 'budget' synth.

Sorry, I missed out a step for the recording option. You want to enable 'multirec' on the M50 and record-enable every channel. Then hit record, and start your external sequencer playing.

Make sure you have the M50 clock synced to the sequencer's clock.

Actually the most straightforward way from a software point of view is saving the file and putting it on the card. Unless you're using the plugin or already have a file on the M50 with all of the sequencer setup settings.
useron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
The VST instrument plugin simply allows you to assign all the program assignments, effects routings and the rest of the sequencer mode setup (drum track, arpeggiator, tone adjust, etc) and save it with your project rather than having to save a seperate sequencer file on your SD card.

I have tried to utilize the VST Instrument into an example sequence made with Cubase. I have created two tracks. Assigned a different channel to each one, and record some measures. Everything fine.

I have saved the cubase project and closed the application. After that, I have opened again Cubase and the project and the MIDI data was there, however the data configurations into VST instrument weren't there (instruments associated with each track, Tone adjust tweaking, ...).

Do I have to save the Cubase project and also another file with the VST information?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should just work but I have heard it can be a bit dodgy.

Anyway if you're saving the data onto the m50 it is mostly unnecessary anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: