Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of Piano did Korg use to sample?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
velour100

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: What kind of Piano did Korg use to sample? Reply with quote

Personally I love some of the piano sounds. Not all of them. But what I was wondering is; does someone know what kind of piano's they used? (Also in soundpack 1 en 2)

And, does someone know if Korg has a plan to release a more wooden sound of one or more piano's? (Like the Nord Piano does with that string resonation)

Anyone an idea?
Siriosys

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Velour100,

If I'm not mistaken, the SV1 emulates Yamaha C7 and Steinway D Series Grands among others.

If you're wanting more of the 'real noises' that go with using a real piano such as String Resonance, damper and hammer noises etc etc, have you used the included editor to increase the volume of the "Real eXperience" sounds??

Here's a better description about it here:

We even sampled piano cabinet resonances to enhance the accuracy of our acoustic pianos. By isolating these sonic components, the RX engine allows you to create a sonic signature from showroom-shiny to road-ravaged; adding just the right amount to suit your individual taste. This attention to detail, called the RX Experience, is what makes playing the SV-1 a joy. It comes to life under your hands, with a three-dimensional sound evoking the electro-mechanical legends, reborn.
MBPro
velour100

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Siriosys,

Thanks! I forgot about the RX :p.. (how could I Wink) Anyway, its a more wooden sound then before!

And thanks for the names of the samples. Do you know the difference between the grand 1, 1a and 1b, and 2, 2a and 2b? Or are the a and b versions the same as the 1 and 2? (1 is the Yamaha C7 en 2 is the Steinway)

Thanks again!
Siriosys

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a safe bet to assume that the 'brighter' sounding Piano is a Yamaha and the other being the Steinway - I think the A and B just refer to variants of the same.

I've had the most success with 'customizing' the Pianos' sounds by just tweaking the EQ settings and then saving the sound as a favourite. Although I think I prefer the Steinway sound, I'm more familiar with the timbre from the Bosendorfer grands from my years of playing. The bass in them is incredible so I've done my best to try and replicate the sound for my own edification..........obviously a $3k keyboard versus a $200K Piano are in different leagues, but hey, you can't take a Bosey or Yammy to a Gig that easily.........LOL

It would be nice to see Korg give the users some more 'tools' to shape and tweak the actual sounds and not just the effects via the Editor at some time in the future.
MBPro
Siriosys

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a safe bet to assume that the 'brighter' sounding Piano is a Yamaha and the other being the Steinway - I think the A and B just refer to variants of the same.

I've had the most success with 'customizing' the Pianos' sounds by just tweaking the EQ settings and then saving the sound as a favourite. Although I think I prefer the Steinway sound, I'm more familiar with the timbre from the Bosendorfer grands from my years of playing. The bass in them is incredible so I've done my best to try and replicate the sound for my own edification..........obviously a $3k keyboard versus a $200K Piano are in different leagues, but hey, you can't take a Bosey or Yammy to a Gig that easily.........LOL

It would be nice to see Korg give the users some more 'tools' to shape and tweak the sounds via the Editor at some time in the future.
MBPro
velour100

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your answer. Well, in our Sunday service this morning, the pianist who played on my piano, was playing beautiful on the Steinway (2b). I was sitting somewhere in the audience, and it sounded really nice.

I had tweaked the RX level up to 3. And it felled really more wooden then before.

We are going to buy a new piano soon, and I hope it will be the SV1. Or, if we have money, it will be the Nord Stage EX 88. But, personally I think that the SV1 is more then in of for us.
Dave Ferris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the "soundpack 2" pianos I'm partial to the Piano 2A myself, the Piano 1B is my next favorite.

2005 NY Steinway D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: