Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Survey: Performance Synthesizer Design
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: FINISHED Synthesizer Project (originally design survey) Reply with quote

Thanks. I had to use 12mm MDF for a number of reasons - primarily on the front panel to match the depth of the black keys, and on the base to take teh weight of the heavier components and their fittings - primarily the motherboard, hard drive, and keybed. I also wanted it to be fairly ruggedised, a bit like a Hammond X5 - portable and road-safe.
The sides are woodstained pine.

Oh and the faders, they are okay, however they are fanned out at nine degrees, which is still too much! I think 5 or even 3 would have been better. They are however carefully planned out such that the distance between the bottom ends are the same so that you don't get faders colliding.

It just fits under my arm, but is fairly heavy. Someone commented that I should use it to make a fitness video Laughing
Still, I would like to redo the casing. Originally I would have had a black or brushed grey/silver metal front panel.

And to top it all off, I just got my results with a 2:1 overall for my degree!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=133673&id=500224820&l=f913b02f5c
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Moonshine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done.
Your keyboard looks nice! I like the (led?) light coming from under the keyboard. Maybe we could at some point hear or even possibly see something played with it?
dayuri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FINISHED Synthesizer Project (originally design survey) Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:

And to top it all off, I just got my results with a 2:1 overall for my degree!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=133673&id=500224820&l=f913b02f5c

Congratulations on the grade! If you wanted to give it a lighter (and possibly more handsome) metal face then it should only be a hour or half hour job with a router and one of those metal bender things, which judging from the nice job on your housing your university probably has in their workshop. Take advantage of it before you're officially not a student! I finished my MFA early this year and constantly lament the dozens of jobs I didn't do in the industrial design workshop while I had the chance.

I'm with Moonshine on seeing a demo!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: FINISHED Synthesizer Project (originally design survey) Reply with quote

dayuri wrote:
Congratulations on the grade! If you wanted to give it a lighter (and possibly more handsome) metal face then it should only be a hour or half hour job with a router and one of those metal bender things, which judging from the nice job on your housing your university probably has in their workshop. Take advantage of it before you're officially not a student! I finished my MFA early this year and constantly lament the dozens of jobs I didn't do in the industrial design workshop while I had the chance.

Thanks!
Actually most of the design/construction/assembly I did myself. The only part I didn't do was the actual cutting of the MDF pieces, which someone at a workshop in the uni did with a jigsaw (I realised afterwards I could have even done that myself). They discouraged me from using metal like I had originally wanted, because it is 'complicated, expands, contracts, is expensive, difficult to work, is unnecessary', and "most keyboards are made of plastic or wood" Shocked
After that comment I decided to minimise their involvement in the construction.

I'd like to get a video done. Nothing is set up at the moment as I'm moving, and I'd like to get some more samples and programs on it before I show off the synth. I also still have a few bugs which seem persistent even though they are fixed on my test platform.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
dayuri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeze thats pretty lazy of them. Metal is more expensive but this IS your final project. If the wooden sides had a recess routed into them you could just slot the metal sheet in. Do your measuring right and you won't even need to screw anything. The expansion and contraction stuff is just an excuse, sure, it does expand and contract but its not like you're building a suspension bridge!

Cool, looking forward to it.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you only know how to use a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

They wanted to use wood because they were woodworkers, I bet.

MDF is heeeeeaaaaaavvvvvvvy. I would suggest using clear lexan or other polycarbonate plastic, if merely to show off the internals without having to open it up. Plus a bunch of colored LEDs would look fabulous inside that way. Pimp your ride.
pillbug

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done, good luck with the survey and the instrument.

If I may ask, what course/degree are you taking/pursuing?
dayuri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perspex/polycarbonate does look really cool. I have a half made project somewhere which was supposed to be an opaque black acrylic MIDI keytar, still unfinished. The only problem (besides trying to get good joins) with the stuff is that everything I've tried scratches way too easily, which sucks since imperfections show up clearly.
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the survey and looked at your Facebook pix....very cool!
Ozz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome keyboard
nice work, and its really cool Wink
it would be nice to listen a audio or see a video demo

Regards
Alvaro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: