Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg EMX-1 with mini KP and AMP and the leads i need?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zulixia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Korg EMX-1 with mini KP and AMP and the leads i need? Reply with quote

Hi there, i bought an EMX-1.. im currently using my bass amp as its output...however im buying a mini KP to spice up my stuff...now i looked at the cables i need and im confused like crap...i know i need RCA cables but EMX-1 doesnt have RCA ports, do i need phono or mono to??

SO basicly: If this is in the right order
EMX1 through MiniKP into Amp...

What leads do i need to do this, quantities and stuff...

Also think i might need RCA to 1/4" jack so that i can plug it into my amp...

I look forward to your replies, been wanting to get this sorted for a while now.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the Amp live or just at home?

If you're at home i'd really recommend you hook up with something a bit more faithful to sound reproduction like powered studio monitors or even a set of computer/home theatre speakers - the kind that usually has a separate sub & amp unit or at least good bass response. Or even headphones will give you a better sound quality

First of all this will give you stereo sound, which means you can pan and get stereo effects adding width to your sound. Secondly a bass amp or guitar amp is designed to vastly colour the sound and will not really reproduce anything near what is actually coming out of your gear. They will also always introduce a degree of waveform distortion to the sound. It is designed to make your bass or guitar sound good, whereas synths are designed to be made to sound good by programming good sounds on them, using internal effects, and listening to them on a transparent sound system that doesn't affect the output. Unless you are trying to achieve a specific sound, in which case you can still use the amp on an alternate output or use an amp or distortion effect on the KP or the Electribe/synth.

That said, in answer to your question the RCA connectors on the KP and the jack connections on the Electribe are the same thing, just different physical arrangements, a simple adaptor or cable with the different connectors on each end will do you well.

I'd recommend you run stereo (a pair of connections - Left to White, Right to Red) from the EMX to the mini-KP, then run from the output of the KP3 to the input of your amp or other speaker system. A lot of home hi-fi systems as mentioned above for example will have RCA inputs but come with a splitter cable that goes to a headphone/computer like connection. The main output of a device will usually have a clearer sound quality than the headphones output, which usually has more noise introduced through the headphone amp.

Running to your bass amp you would only need a single cable I suppose to run from the white (left) connector to your amp input.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
zulixia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i understand what you mean...so im gonna need to get RCA cables, into the emx-1 with a 1/4" jack adaptor...then from my Mini KP i need RCA cables into another jack adaptor for my amp?

-2 sets of RCA cables
- A bunch of RCA to 1/4"

and thats all the leads i need?
orbit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zulixia wrote:
Ok, i understand what you mean...so im gonna need to get RCA cables, into the emx-1 with a 1/4" jack adaptor...then from my Mini KP i need RCA cables into another jack adaptor for my amp?

-2 sets of RCA cables
- A bunch of RCA to 1/4"

and thats all the leads i need?

I think you're missing the important message here: Don't use a guitar amp.

Spend $150 and get some cheap powered monitors and hook your EMX to those or at least use headphones. An even better idea would be to get a mixer and hook your KP3 to the send buss and give it it's own channel.

The problem with what you're doing is that anything you're writing while listening thru that amp will sound like boiled ass if recorded or played on any normal soundsystem.
Since the music we make is a reflection of ourselves I'd like to think that one of our #1 goals as artists is to sound good, so spend the time and money and do it right.

http://joshcoopermusic.com/
http://www.myspace.com/orbit_one
http://www.myspace.com/siliconsuicide
www.soundcloud.com/jcoopersound
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even spending £20 on a PC stereo set with a sub is going to give you much clearer and more faithful sound reproduction than a bass amp.

Otherwise its like trying to produce a 3D colour film on a black & white monitor... so much information is lost, you don't really know what it is going to sound like to people.

You've got the right idea with the cables though.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
zulixia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all good and well saying go spend some cash...but after i buy the Mini KP im not gonna have very much...for now i just need to know that the set up i have will work with the leads i buy...

ill invest in something mroe fitiing later...but for now the best output i got is my amp...enough said : )....

So i got the right idea with my current set up...thats all i need to know...and i do have headphones...some pretty kick ass ones to that...but then i gotta get a 1/4" to that diddy little headphone input -.-
Electribed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that you've not bought the KP yet, perhaps some monitors would be a better next buy. But if you're happy to use your headphones then I guess you're covered.
zulixia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51015

go there now, ive restarted a new...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: