Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moss Purchase

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatrickD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Moss Purchase Reply with quote

Having recently aquired the EX88 I am wondering what the Moss board does in terms of enhancement. I am completely ignorant of it's fuctions but I do see $600.00 price tags and I wonder what is the advantage
Thanks for your opinions!
Patrick
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EXB-MOSS is basically a Korg Z1 engine, with 6 voices instead of the Z1's 12-18voices. What it gives you are 13 different kinds of synthesis you don't have on your sampler workstation. For details you can search on the Z1, like here:

http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/z1a.html

The $600 price is mostly because the EXB board is hard to find, and those who really want the virtual analog or various physical models inside their TrEx are usually willing to pay for it. Instead of buying an EXB-MOSS for my TrEx, I found a mint condition Z1 for $400 and got a nice aftertouch keybed and XY Pad besides the great MOSS engine, and 12 voices instead of 6. The Radias/R3 engine is comparable for the virtual analog stuff and much easier to program with the editor software. The physical models are rather unique, as the M3 or Radias can't do them, and only the OASYS has physical models but even it doesn't have all of the ones in the MOSS engine (although what it does have, like the plucked string model appears to be more advanced).
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard engine of the Triton is basically a ROMpler/sampler. It plays samples. Such as a sampled piano. That's all it does.

MOSS is an entirely new architecture, it adds real synthesis to the Triton. Sounds that are generated in realtime. - Like classic old analogue synths of yore. There are no sampled acoustic pianos here. It's 100% synthesis. Evolving oscillators and waveforms amalgamating to create complex sounds.

See XML's link as to what synthesis types it gives you. There's a lot, 13 new types, including physical modelling (detailed simulations) of various instruments giving you parameters to manipulate and warp the sound in ways a sampler could never begin to achieve. The brass and plucked models are great, as are the electric pianos and organs (up to 6 drawbars available). You have two main oscillators to play with (and a sub and noise generator) for each 'voice', so you can combine most synthesis types together to have one synthesis type on Osc1, and another on Osc2. (A few of the more complex physical models only allow you to use one oscillator, though.)

The bonus of having the MOSS board in your Triton (as opposed to buying a separate Z1) is that the Triton has the touchscreen - it stands to be much easier to program compared to the Z1 - and the MOSS can use the Triton's effects. The MOSS board doesn't steal polyphony from the Triton, it generates its own 6 voices independently. However the MOSS board lacks the XY pad and extra polyphony of the Z1 (which has 12 or 18 voices), as XML mentioned. 6 voices still gets you a long way though, and I'd say it is a worthwhile upgrade. There's plenty of presets for MOSS too.

$600 is a touch steep I feel, but if you can get it for less, grab it. As XML says, though, the higher price is due to reduced supply and increased demand.
PatrickD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for you help! You have given me the information I needed to make a decision and I appreciate your time. Have a wonderful New Year!
PatrickD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well! Lets see where do you find one. Ebay "Buy it now" for $600. Is this safe with a no returns policy in the listing? I'll pay it but I am a little nervous this being the only source for the board I have been able to find. Weigh in at your leisure! Update I went ahead and did it so well see if it is a good deal or not. Music store in New york had it on EBay
Thanks again
Patrick

Last edited by PatrickD on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
eliasdotis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just wait around for someone selling a moss board on craigslist. $600 is way too much. I waited around for a few months and got one for a lot less than that
PatrickD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got on on E-Bay for 550 Frihollas and its on its way. I am wondering about installation. Is there a file dowload that replaces the disk it wont have. I know the auction didn't provide one!
Thanks
Patrick Very Happy
PS Thanks Timo for taking the time. YOU SOLD ME BUD! I also see your a master at this piece of circuit board!
PatrickD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson made the Les Paul 50 years ago and its still a legend being made today! I believe the Qasys and this Extreme with Moss would have become the same thing. Keyboards have progressed enough to allow for the production and support to remain on certain models. I believe Extreme was one that KORG could have held onto for ten or more years easy. THIS Machine is amazing and I am glad to finally have one of the "Blue" with Moss making its home in the little hut hole.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Extreme, fully laden, is quite a beast.

Sound wise, it'll never become obsolete. The possibilities with the synth are limitless. Sampling, extensive modulation, PCMs, analogue emulation, physical modelling, multitimbral effects, layers/splits/combis, arpeggiation, sequencing...

It's the reason I'll never even part with my [significantly] older Trinity since I installed the flash-ROM playback sampler into it - it's a chameleon - a new synth every time I import new samples into it. Like the Triton it has very flexible modulation capabilities and a very high quality synth engine. Again with complex modulation available, multi effects, combis, sequencing, etc. And with the Moss...

The only thing I miss on the Trinity is an arpeggiator. But luckily I have other synths that do have arps and so use them to trigger the Trinity. Again it turns it into an entirely new animal. Smile

Good luck with the Moss board!
Ricoche

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I see EXB-MOSS boards on Ebay now for $700! Is it really worth that price now? I know it's supply and demand driven, but I'm wondering how much that quality is really worth now. You can buy a Z1 for a cheaper price and with the exception of the size, it's a great synth I think.

I find it very interesting the price comparison with regards to the Z1 and EXB-MOSS boards. For some reason it doesn't make sense, but maybe it does and I just don't get it....laugh.

Jim
nc88keyz

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got Moss?

See F/s Forums

Get eR Done!
Alesis Ion
KRK Rokit 8 (G2)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MOSS Option All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: