Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI Out to R3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edhardt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: MIDI Out to R3 Reply with quote

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help me here.

I know how to make the connection so that I can put midi notes on the screen (FL Studio) and have it play the sounds from my R3.

What I wanted to know is how to (if it's possible?) have the computer play the midi notes using the sound from my R3, and record it into audio. So instead of me playing and recording the audio like I normally would through a 1/4" and mixer, I am trying to record the sound, in midi notes. I thought this might be possible by having the midi out connected, then playing the notes on screen, while recording the output of the R3 into the mixer and a recording.

If anyone could help, that would be greatly appreciated!

Smile
paolomuzzo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Edhardt,

I may be on the wrong track here - but if you can play back the midi track and it plays the sounds from your R3, then why can't you render/mixdown the midi track to an audio track? I haven't tried rendering from an external synth myself only VST plugins but it would seem like an easier option - unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Cheers.

Paul.
Edhardt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello paolomuzzo Smile

Well the thing is, MIDI doesn't transmit audio/sound - just the data. So its telling my R3 what notes to hit and it plays it. But if i export the track it will just come out blank, because it doesn't really 'have the sounds' "embedded" in the track, if that makes any sense. So it always needs the R3 as the sound source.

I was trying to record the output of my R3's audio while the midi track plays, but I can't do both. Maybe its just a limitation of the program that i'm using? I'm not sure.

But if i can't render it somehow, then what's the point of the midi out! Razz
paolomuzzo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Edhardt,

Ah yes, I understand what you are saying. I have the Micro X and I have done the same as you, experimenting with it; I've created a midi track and it has played the sounds back as you would expect - But I haven't tried rendering it myself as I was just playing around. I usually record the audio straight in to the sequencer anyway and just use VST's plugins for rendering midi to audio.
But you have prompted me to test what you are saying - I'm at work at the moment so I will have to wait till later. I'll keep you posted. Smile

Cheers.
Paul.
Edhardt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, that's what I mean. And normally, that's what i do too. Record the hardware synth's audio and use vst plugin synths for midi audio.

I'm just trying to figure out if it can be done this way, because i have certain sounds that i'd like to use in songs that are on my R3 that i don't have in any plugins haha.

Good luck, let me know! Smile
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edhardt wrote:
Exactly, that's what I mean. And normally, that's what i do too. Record the hardware synth's audio and use vst plugin synths for midi audio.

I'm just trying to figure out if it can be done this way, because i have certain sounds that i'd like to use in songs that are on my R3 that i don't have in any plugins haha.

Good luck, let me know! Smile

This is the normal way to do it.

make a MIDI track, play with it and make all the adjustments you wish, then when you're happy, record the audio from the synth back into a new audio track. then you can also add extra effects, etc.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
paolomuzzo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Very Happy - Thanks X-Trade,

I tried rendering the Midi as I said I would and just like Edhardt got a blank track.

Tried your way and - yes it does work.

Edhardt I don't know what sequencer you use but in mine I played in the midi track (a few bars) and then created a new track and set that to recieve the signal from the midi track - armed it to record and hit the record button - the audio track recorded the sounds - cool.

Thanks again X-Trade, something else I've learned today.

Cheers.
Paul.
Edhardt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both of you guys. Smile
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to invite you to think for a moment about why rendering a MIDI track won't work for external instruments.
A MIDI track has MIDI out and in, but no audio source assigned, so how does it know where the audio is coming from in order to capture it? there is no input of audio whatsoever.

the MIDI data is just note on and off commands, controller changes, program changes, etc. command performance data.

effectively what you are doing in the solution is rendering the sound to an audio track.

if works differently for virtual instrument tracks because they are in most DAWs considered an audio track and MIDI track in one.

anyway, glad to help.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: