Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Long Before Softsynths Make Keyboards Obsolete?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Choros

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With these "colossus" libraries you standing in the wood -even
with a 4GB ram. Too less instances can be used.

For rapid configuration and playing, hardware is the one and only.
Personal thoughts:
How nice would be a KORG arranger with OASYS sounds etc. Cool
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. I see people switching on the fly live using a laptop and controller loading up various softsynth programs. Technology has come a long way. I asked a guy after the show what he was using he only had 2GB of memory and a fairly decent CPU but still nowhere near the top of the line.
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bet LarsVonMayer works for some software bussines,

i never heard a vst/softie that has better sounds than korg's "mandolin tremolo", "90s piano", "paddy wack", "phantom tines", "legato strings",
and many many more.....
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choros wrote:
arranger with OASYS sounds etc. Cool

arranger ?!
i don't know why "arranger keyboard" was invented,
maybe only to create chaos....
higskies

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a love/hate relationship with any instrument that isn't acoustic, but hardware is more reliable than software and software is dependent on hardware, so I clearly believe hardware will never go away.
Korg TR, Legacy DE, padKontrol, M-Audio Axiom, Alesis QS7.1, Yamaha YS-200, Casio VZ-8M, Roland D-110, E-mu ESI-32, Absynth 3, FM7, Live 7, Sonar Producer 7, PreSonus Firepod interface, KRK Rokit5 monitors, Focusrite/Behringer/PreSonus preamps, Rode/Blue/Shure mics, kazoos?, Fender Telecaster, Danelectro U2, Epiphone Les Paul Studio, VOX/Peavey/Gorilla amps, Sigma DY10 Acoustic
Friendo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in that having the eEditor for Radias is cool. Last night I spent many blinking hours editing arps and seqs with that tiny screen and push buttons, back and forth back and forth, to see this morning that it can be done so much easier and simpler and clearer with the soft editor.
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think the hardware/software issue is a no brainer. The ease of manipulation a soft synth gives you is tampered by the lack of convenience at the time of performing. Having the STS's and switching programs in the middle of a song doesn't compare with having to select a different track or loading a group of instruments on a laptop while the song is running.
And if the OS crashes or the Antivirus kicks in with a "scheduled" scan that you forgot to disable. BLAM!!! The band goes on without keys.

Pretty annoying. Rolling Eyes
mjammer

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for sofsynths in particular the KOrg Legacy Collection-Digital Edition. I've always wanted a M1 Korg Synthesizer but could not afford it, so I had to stick with CASIOs and Yahama PSRs . The Korg legacy Collection is my best investment to date- Musically Speaking. I would have never been able to own a M1 Korg(still my fovorite synthesizer), nor would I know what is the WAVESTATION (Nothing sounds like the wavestation to date).
These Softsynths (M! and WAVESTATION) turn heads when I perform live.
Guys with Tritons Marvel at the quality ,clarity and performance of the sounds which are hosted on my 512 MB laptop. For live performances I have had 2 failures:
1) The laptop fell during transportation and I had to reinstall the USB driver

2) A USB cable failure.

However, dispite these failure I still Use my Software Rig for live performances -I just have backups:USB cables, Software Drivers
and my OLD CASIO.

ANyways, I still want a SOLID M1 Keyboard just to add to my sonic arsenal even though the software version sounds better. Its just a pleasure to look at the original M1 Synthesizer(My favorite keyboard).
I will buy a M1 if I find someone who is willing to part with it and when I find the extra dough. The orginal wavestation seems too complex to program though.
carlgoodhines

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: What ever happened to the "good old days"? Reply with quote

...when you bought a keyboard, and had to make all the sounds yourself? Like a minimoog, which came with instructions on features, and a few patch set-ups for basses and leads...

Although programming a sound now has hundreds of parameters, and the dawn of the "universal controller" (assignable data slider)makes knob-per-parameter design condensed, synth programming-don't anyone be offended by this-has become somewhat of a "lost art". I can't tell you how many people come up to me and ask, "how'd you get that sound out of your M3? Do you have some new software in it? Can mine do that"? I tell them, "No...break out the manual and learn how to twist knobs!" Seems everyone leans on what a synth comes loaded with sound-wise. Nowadays, when someone DOES have new sounds, they sell them and everybody has them-then you don't have something as unique as you thought you were getting.

Go to a music store. Everyone's stepping through preset sounds-not to see functional capability, but to see if they can use them that night. Nobody's ever checking out range or limits of filters, parameters, effects quality, etc. A music store in Albany, NY (in the 80's)once had a sign hanging in the keyboard department saying, "Please don't play
Jump on the Oberheim"!

OK, maybe the last bit wasn't related to programming, but I think any synth, hardware or software, should come with your basic meat-and-potatoes sounds (Piano,strings,organ.and brass), and everything else should be done by the new owner. Show your style!

If you DO your own programming, don't be offended by this.
gjvti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer hardware. Hardware works much more stable, and is ready to play/sequence/sample in less than 2 minutes. actually it works always (if not physically broken). PC are probably ok for studio work and with the condition that you don't use your PC for something other but music. There is also a larger choice of tools with PC, but there are always some compatibility and stability issues.
Only problem I see with hardware synths is that it was more convenient to use all extensive features built in (for example M3) if it had vga/hdmi out (that would also technically allow notation and lyrics) and mouse/keyboard port, because touchscreen will never be big enough and affordable at the same time.
ix studio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Before Softsynths Make Keyboards Obsolete? Reply with quote

Quote:

It can only be a matter of time before software completely takes over hardware.

i think the danger is you think everyones like you , thinks like you and is you ? i get your drift and i myself use both hardware synths but also more and more softsynths but i wont ever in my life stop using some hardware as i enjoy using it , having fun with it and experimenting with it in ways i cannot do with software.Both is best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: