Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triton Extreme buttons unresponsive...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quicksilverp3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Triton Extreme buttons unresponsive... Reply with quote

Managed to score a Triton Extreme for dirt cheap (450 dollars!!), but some of the buttons either require a lot of pressure to be activated or don't work at all.

I kind of want to use it live as I don't really do any studio work... and 450 was too hard to pass up just for broken buttons.

I was wondering if anyone has opened up their Triton... are the buttons just switches? Would I be able to just desolder the buttons that I rarely use (for instance the bank buttons) and replace the ones I really use?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you search the forum you can find out tons of information on this.
Basically they can be replaced and they are very cheap, but to do this yourself is quite difficult. You pretty much have to remove the entire guts of the keyboard. It's a BIG job.

Regards
Sharp.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Triton classic had a problem where some buttons didn't work reliably and I had to push a couple times or at a "special" angle.

I used a can of contact cleaner and sprayed it around the buttons. I never opened the case and they work perfectly now.

I'd try that before opening it. I opened mine several times and it's not something I would recommend...

-Mc

p.s. great score on the TE!
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
quicksilverp3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I already tried a can of contact cleaner... but it was just the Radioshack brand. I'm gonna grab some deoxit tomorrow instead.

As for opening it up... I don't mind it. I already opened it up to replace the tube since it stopped working. I just wanted to know if anyone else has switched buttons before.

I'm gonna open it up again to see if its the actual switches undernearth... or maybe the plastic button over the switch isn't making good contact.
Goom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very cautious of disassembling the Triton to replace the switches. I did this recently to my Yamaha SY77, and it is not for the faint of heart. I'd imagine that the Triton is of a similar design. You'll really need to pay attention to all of the many screws that hold all of the assemblies in place, and all of the connectors. If it is like the SY77 it would be very easy to forget parts, or forget where the connectors go when re-assembling everything. A LOT of things will probably have to be removed to get to the switches. Everything will, really.

With that said, if the switches don't work, they probably do need replacing. As much work as it was to disassemble the SY, I wound up replacing ALL of the switches, even though there were only a handfull that were flakey. Now I don't have to worry about taking it apart again (I also replaced the battery and the LCD). All in all, the work I did on the SY took about 10+ hours if I remember right.

I also would be very leary of spraying any sort of switch cleaner into any synth. If it gets (due to runoff or overspray) where it shouldn't, if could affect the operation of the Triton, or possibly mar the finish of certain parts (eg. the LCD screen, front panel silkscreen). In the past, when I have used various switch cleaners, the problem would always return later. Because of that, I usually do replace the bad part so I won't have to worry about it again.
Andy Peak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Triton Extreme Buttons Unresponsive Reply with quote

I have had this problem a number of times. It was a contaminant problem as near as I can figure. (Very Fine Dust)..I used a cotton ball soaked with isopropyl alcohol and squeezed the alcohol into the key pad switch covers while at the same time depressing the button numerous times. I would then take and "Shark" portable car vacuum cleaner and suck out residual alcohol and hopefully whatever contaminant there was that had been loosened by the alcohol "bath". Key function was restored every time I needed to this.

I have just ordered custom Keyboard covers to help protect the insturment from further problems
Andy Peak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Triton Extreme Buttons Unresponsive Reply with quote

Let me just add one more thing about dis-assembly of the instrument. If you take your time and document what you are doing using a digital camera, You can be reasonably confident that you will cause no damage to the instrument.

I just recently did this to examine the keypad switches on my Extreme 88.
The START / STOP switch button broke and I was of the mind that I could take another button from a position on the key pad that was never used and trade places with it. I was SHOCKED to find that the keypad assembly is one solid piece of plastic. The Data Wheel "Knob" also seats thru this plastic switch cover assembly. Now here's the most disturbing news..YOU CANT GET THE ASSEMBLY REPLACED!! Korg no longer supports it and it can't be ordered from anyone that I have been able to talk to. (Which is why I joined this forum)

I have effected repairs to the START / STOP switch cover using super glue and fibers from a cotton swab (so the cotton fibers + glue are holding the switch cover in place) I would however, prefer to have the original piece.

ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEAS or SOME FRIENDS IN JAPAN?!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: