Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why alot of Pros stay with Tritons?????
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Why alot of Pros stay with Tritons????? Reply with quote

Why alot of Pros(like NightWish,Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir and etc) stay with Tritons classic or Studio and don't want to buy M3 or Oasys?????
What this synth has that new one don't?
I don't know what thay are using in the studio but in Live shows thay are always showing up with Tritons....

p.s. I know the reason is not money isue for shure....
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the M50-73 and the M3-73 and my Triton Pro is still my main synth live. I'm not sure if I'm considered "pro" or not but I play gigs with over 1000 people in attendance several times a month.

I have a few simple reasons:

1. 76 keys (73 keys blows).
2. I have had it for 10 years and can program any patch in about 7 seconds (but of course, in 10 years, I probably already did it).
3. Some patches on the Triton I can not replicate on the M50/M3.
4. I prefer the keybed on the Triton to that on the M50 or M3 - BIG time.
5. I've been using it so long, any other synth feels foreign to me.
6. Reliable as hell...

I noticed while watching a segment from the Jimmy Fallon show that one of the keyboardists only synth is the same Triton Pro.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks McHale.For the asnswer.

Sorry, no offence to anybody, i jast whant to say that at my opinion thay are very lazy to reprogram all their sounds to a new keyboard, because thay spent alot of hours for programm them with Tritons.....

But i think another reason, is that with Audio CD 16/44or 48 khz, u can not notice big difference in sound, but HDsound like with Audio DVDs 24/96khz and Audio Blurays 24 or 32bit /192 khz are still very rare in the market unfortionaly.....
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it's not a matter of being lazy. I simply can not get some of the same sounds I have in my Triton. If the M3 or M50 were 76 key, I would have zero issue dumping the triton completely. I also prefer the Triton keybed quite a bit more than the M3 or M50.

Every synth Korg puts out always has changes/improvements, but something is always lost along the way. There's things my DW-8000 or DVP-1 can do that the rest can't. I can get sounds out of my DSS-1 sampler that no Korg sampler synth is capable of. On paper, it always looks like the next synth can take over full time duties but in reality, it's not true. Every synth has it's own "charm" so to speak.

So it's not being lazy, maybe it's just being stubborn. Smile

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
If the M3 or M50 were 76 key, I would have zero issue dumping the triton completely.

I didn't know 3 keys would make that much difference (73 vs. 76).
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
I didn't know 3 keys would make that much difference (73 vs. 76).

For me it does... especially when you split the keyboard - it makes a HUGE difference ESPECIALLY since I play NO songs in the key of C. That means I lose about 1/2 an octave on each side of the keyboard. Typically, I will have 3 separate patches on the keybed at once for some songs instead of using a 2nd keyboard or switching patches frequently.

What's next? Turn their 88 key keybed into an 85 key to maintain the whole C to C keybed craziness?

-Mc
Synastikki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for example Tuomas Holopainen uses Korg Oasys in the studio, but live he uses one Karma and 3 TR:s (although there's been a rumour that many of his sounds are sampled on a laptop and he controls that laptop with his keys on stage. Those samples are said to be from Oasys and N364)...
I wouldn't give up my Triton if I bought a new board, or maybe if I bought the Oasys. Triton has a nice keybed and it works as a very good controller so if I bought a M3 for example I might program all the sounds from Triton to M3, but still use the Triton as a controller Smile
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synastikki wrote:
Well for example Tuomas Holopainen uses Korg Oasys in the studio, but live he uses one Karma and 3 TR:s (although there's been a rumour that many of his sounds are sampled on a laptop and he controls that laptop with his keys on stage. Those samples are said to be from Oasys and N364)...
I wouldn't give up my Triton if I bought a new board, or maybe if I bought the Oasys. Triton has a nice keybed and it works as a very good controller so if I bought a M3 for example I might program all the sounds from Triton to M3, but still use the Triton as a controller Smile

Yes, but in this situation u can not use touch screen what is radiculus good for live shows.

Tritons were one of the best synth in their time but now there are new technologies

And still i don't understend,U can use to synth in the same time so u can have acces to all octaves, if the reason is keys feel, well i strongly can not belive that Oasys or M3 can not beat Tritons. M3 or Oasys for shure is better

I use to play Korg TR and it has not very good keys and after tuch is very bad. But maby Toumas has some king of castom shop of TR with keys from Tritons? but still what's wrong with Oasys, it has bigger Touch Screen, and alot more real time controllers? I have seen Toumas playing Oasys at live show ones very long time ago.....

p.s. The only what i can belive is that thay signed a contract with Satan that thay will be the best musicians in the world but thay will play Tritons for the rest of their live...
Vim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use mine after 10+ years. It's easier to program. i know where every button is and where exactly to press on the screen without looking. I still like the sounds especially after i edit the controllers. I just couldn't be bothered to buy something else + with PCs and onboard sampling, i can program whatever i want.

Besides everyone likes a well worn shoe ... it's comfortable & familiar Laughing
ex Marshall Islands
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilly7 wrote:
if the reason is keys feel, well i strongly can not belive that Oasys or M3 can not beat Tritons. M3 or Oasys for shure is better

I don't have an Oasys but I *DO* have the M3 and M50 and the Triton's keybed is MUCH better. The action is one thing but the actual texture of the keys themselves I find MUCH better.

And there's a reason people still seek out old analog synths. Because new technologies can't always replicate old technologies very well. There are things the Triton can do that the M3 simply can't. To save a lot of discussion, we'll start with MOSS. The guy who developed that for Korg died a few years ago and so did the updates. MOSS can do things that the RADIAS board can not (and vice versa). When the MOSS card came out over 10 years ago, it cost about $450 street. You know what used ones bring on ebay today? $450 and up. What does that tell ya?

The Triton also has some samples that the M3 doesn't have (at least not exactly) so if you have a signature sound, it's possible you won't be able to get that same sound on anything else.

Look at Eddie Van Halen. He had a signature sound when he used his Frankenstrat and old Marshall stack. Guitar players around the world are trying to replicate that sound. He changed gear and he doesn't have it any more either...

New doesn't always mean better. I wouldn't give up my Triton for anything... I'm actually looking for one or two more if you know anybody that didn't sign that deal with Satan yet... Must be the 76 key version though.

-Mc
Maximon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post chilly7.. but if i could ask McHale..did you ever experience a 61 key Triton? the reason i ask is because i used to own a 76 key many years ago, i have another Triton now (61 key) and i'm sure i remember the 76 keybed being much better! this 61 feels cheap!

Perhaps the Pro' tag meant a more professional keybed/action as well as the 76 notes themselves..?
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximon wrote:
Interesting post chilly7.. but if i could ask McHale..did you ever experience a 61 key Triton? the reason i ask is because i used to own a 76 key many years ago, i have another Triton now (61 key) and i'm sure i remember the 76 keybed being much better! this 61 feels cheap!

Perhaps the Pro' tag meant a more professional keybed/action as well as the 76 notes themselves..?

Yes, i have Triton Classic with 61 keys.

I can not compare to Triton Pro, but i have had Korg TR 76 and keys feel are much better and after tuch is much better too with Triton.So now i don't have any complains about keys of my synth....
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TR line was a cheaper keybed. But the 61/76 Triton classic used the same keybed (as detailed in the service manual) but what could make the difference is the frame of the synth itself. If there's play in the frame, the keybed will feel cheap. The 61 key M50 feels much cheaper than the 73 key M50 but I know for a fact that they use the exact same keybed.

The Pro tag just meant more keys. That was it. Oh yah, and a hefty price increase. Smile

-Mc
Maximon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys..
I decided to opt for the 61 merely as space is tight..i think i wished i'd held out for a 76 again..but as you say, maybe this 61's keybed frame feels...Worn! shall we say.

If i may pop another question to you seeing you have the luxury of M3 and M50.. would you say the audio quality output is noticably different from one to the other?
I nearly went and bought an M50 but then i read somewhere about it not having the sonic depth of the M3, relating to it's output that is..not the synthesis potential. If so then this is to do with cost limiting factors in the output board along with lesser quality converters.. ?

I have an old Emu Esynth which is simply wonderful on the quality of it's output, you get breadth and depth sonically without effects or other processing..i guess if i'm going to purchase another Korg it's that base output quality that i'm looking for these days..

Ooops! sorry if i'm straying off topic
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was one of the ones that initially said that the M50 sounded cheaper than the M3. I can personally verify that they both are identical sound-wise. There are no cheaper D/A converters in the M50 as once thought.

The same patch will sound identical, and I mean EXACTLY the same on either one. I even went as far as checking with a spectrum analyzer.

-Mc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: