Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending song select to triton rack does not work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Sending song select to triton rack does not work Reply with quote

Hello
At last I have acquired Midi Maestro which allows me to send system common song select messages to my rack.

But I am not able to get this working

I switch on the rack and send a sysex message to change mode from combi to multi - this works fine.

However the song select mesages don't seem to have any effect. The display stays unchanged at 000: NEW MULTI or whatever template I have loaded.

Monitoring through midi ox the song select messages are definitely getting to the rack (the midi light on the rack comes on)

Anyone able to get this working? Any suggestions?

Thanks
dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you switch on the Triton-Rack, only one Multi is available for use - the default. In order for song selects to work, the unit must (obviously) have more than this single Multi available.

So what you must do before any of this will work is set up the additional Multis you require in the machine, exactly as you wish. Then you have three choices:

1. Save them to the unit's memory.
2. Save them to floppy disk.
3. Save them as sysex into your sequencer or a sysex librarian.

Once you've done this, you'll have to load them each time you switch on the synth. And now your song selects will work fine.

Personally, I've gone with option 3 above since there are a limited number of User Multi slots available and floppy disks are not the most reliable media. Plus, sysex loads faster.

Kind regards.
SSR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Song select Reply with quote

Hello Dave.

So that's why - I thought all the multi templates are what the song select is choosing between as I assumed they are already loaded and available.

(I used to be a programmer - I thought I had left that behind and could just concentrate on the musiic but maybe not quite)

My needs are actually relatively simple - what I might do is create a multi with 16 well chosen programs for their different parameter settings. I take it I can save this as the default so it loads on power up.

Then in my midi songs I just set program changes for each channel (I rarely use more that 5 or 6 channels).

Off topic - what are your thoughts about the hardware VST Players as an alternative?

Many thanks again
dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you switch on the unit, then try pressing the Inc/Dec buttons or turning the value knob, you'll see that there's only one Multi available to you -- until you choose to physically load either a Template Multi or one (or a series) of your own. It's an easy mistake to make since the older Korgs (like the 01/Wfd) had 10 songs available from switch-on. I think the Triton series introduced the new system.

The cool thing about using more than one Multi is that you can have radically different effects setups on each rather than being stuck with the same setup for every sound. Plus, using multiple Multis enables you to copy Combis into a few, then add extra Programs to each as you desire. I'm sure there are other advantages as well -- I'm too tired to think right now. But to each his own. Smile

If by "hardware VST Players" you mean units like the Receptor or the Neko, then I'm afraid I have no thoughts at all on the subject. I feel my Mac is more than powerful enough to handle all the softsynths and samplers I can throw at it. Smile

Kind regards.
SSR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tired - tell me about it Smile By the time I get home,as the bard said, full of desire but not the ability'.
Hope you have had a good rest by the time you read this.

I do find working on the little LCD hard work - do you use Trieditpro, if so would you recommend it? Maybe its time for me to invest in that. I take it there is no free editor for the rack as there is for my Proteus 2000.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: