Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying first synth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soccerprof

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Buying first synth Reply with quote

I'm about to buy my first synth and I'm not quite sure which model to go with yet. My band is goingnto be performing popsynth music, from 80's new wave like new order and depeche mode to modern like lights. The two models that seem to make sense are either the x50 or the m50, and I'm wondering if getting the m50 would be worth it? I've also seen suggestions that it's better to get a used synth like the fantom x or triton extreme. Any suggestions are welcome, I'm brand new to synths and really have no idea what would suit my needs best.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much $$$$ do you want to spend?
soccerprof

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a set limit or anything but I'd prefer to stay around a thousand dollars.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend visiting your local music store and trying keyboards in your price range. You'll probably discover if you're buying new, the M50 is the "biggest bang" for the buck.

Of course you could find several other choices in the used market on eBay in your price range. I've played the Fantom X and the Motif ES, but definitely prefer the Triton Extreme of the three. Its touch screen makes it easy to edit, and the variety of programs and combinations it offers will keep you busy for a long time.
soccerprof

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are the main advantages of the older triton vs the new m50?
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soccerprof wrote:

The Triton Classic has 32 mb of Rom (Triton studio 48MB - excluding expansion cards), the M50 has 256MB. The M50 features the same EDS engine as the M3, and lots of other things like more modern up-to-date-sounds, etc etc, and very cheap compared to similar specked synths.

Not sure if its' "better than the Korg Extreme though - but does feature the same 5 insert effects like the tritons/M3 etc, unlike the TR61 which only has 1 insert, and 64 mb wave rom .

Tony

JOHN 3:16
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soccerprof wrote:

I wasn't comparing the Triton Extreme to the M50, just with the Motif ES and Fantom X.

I will say that the Extreme has a better build quality than the M50 and should stand up better "on the road."
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soccerprof wrote:

M50 has "Karma," is slightly more user-friendly, slightly better effects presets, and an up-to-date set of samples. It is MUCH lighter (11 pounds i think for 61 key), and smaller.

The Triton Extreme has more polyphony, a much better keyboard, has aftertouch (key pressure after you've hit the key), is much more solid, but also weighs in at 37 pounds for a 61-key instrument. While it doesn't have the KARMA feature, it does have dual-arpeggiators, which still respond intuitively to what you play. it is more expandible, so you can add in additional Sample RAM, has a USB port to store data and import data on (so you can use a flash drive with it), and also uses compact flash cards to store data more permanently.

The sounds... i don't think either one is clearly a better-sounding keyboard, but they do sound much different. Triton has 160MB, as compared to the M50's 256MB sample ROM, but the Triton's soundset is made up of all of the expansions, which were very high-quality samples. The triton is very bright sounding, some say it is harsher sounding, but then again it depends on what you play. The M50's EDS engine has more smoother sounds... but are apparently very dependent on effects. You would probably just have to try them out... download some demos, and visit a music store and try them out.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M50 doesn't have KARMA onboard.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh yeah you're right, no karma on the M50
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend the grand on an used Extreme in excellent condition before they are very very hard to find(already hard to find as is in mint condition) and a year from now or whenever the budget allows, get an M50 and use both Smile Problem solved!

Seriously, I don't think I could live without having both in my gigging arsenal, my poor Karma is collecting dust(not really, it's tucked away inside a gig bag but you get the point) Crying or Very sad

The Extreme has any sound you could ever want, I just can't put a price on that so the grand I spent made me feel like I was stealing it lol. The M50 for 1,100.00 is an insane price for such an awesome board(some sell for 750 on ebay!). Myself and my cousin(both use keyboards) make up my band so the drum tracks on the M50 are priceless to me.

6 months ago I was using the X50 and Karma for gigs(kept my TR at home to practice with which was convenient seeing as it had same sounds as X50) so one can see why I'm so ecstatic about my new combo of Korgs!

Current: Pa5X, Nautilus
Past: M1, X5D, N364, Karma, X50, TR61, M50, micro-Korg, Triton Extreme, Pa3x, Roland Fantom 06, Akai mpc key61
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will say... i had a Triton Extreme for the past 5 years, it has so many great features on it, I was still learning how to use new ones just a few months ago. It rarely left me disappointed, and everything you need, whether it be sounds, polyphony, memory, sound quality, expressiveness, it comes through for you in abundance! It's probably the most complete keyboard workstation Korg ever made... the M3 may have beaten it there, though!
soccerprof

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks for all the feedback. Both seem like really good options so I guess I'll have to try them out/listen to samples. The weight of the m50 seems like a huge benefit though
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for the M3-73.

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: