Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm a nube at synths and need some suggestions for buying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roryn1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: I'm a nube at synths and need some suggestions for buying Reply with quote

Hello!
My name is Rory and I know nothing about synthesizers. I do have an old Korg X-5 I bought in the 90's that I learnt all my piano skills on since I was 5 years old and it has taught me(for piano skills) well until we could get a normal piano.

I'm starting a new band with bass, drums, two guitars, a vocalist, and me on keyboard but I need a new synthesizer, one that can I can program to do things throughout songs with different beats and melodic tunes. I also need to use it for live shows and have it work easily. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't provide enough info about the music you do. What music genre and what kinds of keyboard sounds will you use the most?
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi roryn1, yes a bit nmore info would be beneficial - though the Korg M50 http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=413 was the first board that entered my mind. (also the TRITON EXTREME -which as got lots of "everytthing really, and a great overall synth/keyboard) Got the feeling youre on a "budget" which may rule the OASYS out. If you do live use - then perhaps a Synth (not a workstation) would be more useful?, see the X-50 http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=253 or the Roland Fantom http://www.roland.com/products/en/Fantom-G7/index.html (great for live use i hear, with its large screen which can be used with a mouse). Fantom is a workstation though....

There are also arrangers of course, but perhaps you just want a keyboard with decent electric piano/piano/organ etc?

Anthony

JOHN 3:16
roryn1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: more info Reply with quote

haha that's a tough one, we're going to range through alot of genres. I'm thinking metal like hardcore but with lots of techno, and kind of rock/alternative? Like I said we do have a drummer but I'd like to make techno beats with it too in my spare time.
roryn1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be using lots of synth sounds so I want as much selection I can get
roryn1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the pros and cons between a workstation and a synth? And what's the difference?
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A synth typically refers to a device that uses a few basic waveforms and lets you shape them. Workstations don't generate the waveforms; they have all kinds of complex waveforms in memory, as well as having other features like sequencing (arranging songs on the keyboard) and sampling (recording audio that you can later play back - not all workstations have sampling; if it's something you really want, make sure your choice of keyboard has it).

You probably want a workstation; certainly, if you want any realistic acoustic instrument sounds, a synth won't suit you. Synths are popular because they have a certain sound and don't have some of the limitations of workstations (for one thing, synths usually give you more hands-on controls), but workstations are better general-purpose units.

I'd suggest that if you don't have a keyboard at all, get a workstation. It'll be a better starting point and you'll have more useful presets out of the box. As you say, you don't know much about synths and keyboards, so you'll probably find a synth more limiting until you really understand how to make your own presets. A synth also won't give you organ and electric piano sounds that are popular in genres like rock. You can always get good with a workstation and add a synth to your setup down the road when you have a better idea of the specific sounds you want.
roryn1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are workstations good for live shows? I do have a synth, a Korg X5, super old, it has good tunes in it if you've got good speakers hooked up to it but it doesn't have presets on it like say I needed to change the tune wicked fast during a song at a show or something.

And I would like something with drum beats in it and effects I could add to the tunes and stuff? I wish there was just one synth or workstation or whatever that had everything everyone needed Sad
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roryn1 wrote:
are workstations good for live shows?

Yes, that's all I use now for live shows--a Triton and an M3.

The Korg M50 would be excellent for what you're looking to do.
candlewick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using current and past worstations live from the M1 to present. I would second the opinion that the M50 would be a nice fit for you.

"I Need More Cowbell!!"
-Todd

TritonLE76,X3R, M50-61, TD6V V-drum module w/ Pintech Mesh Triggers
roryn1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome thanks to everyone you were all a good help I'll be purchasing an m50 61 key soon. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: