Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want to get started on soft synths, and I need help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amystika

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: I want to get started on soft synths, and I need help Reply with quote

I dont even know where to begin.... I need a complete rundown on what you need to have a soft synth setup, If anyone can help me, it would be GREATLY appreciated, thank you!
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm I think
1 a computer
2 usb masterkeyboard OR usb-midi interface
3 a softsynth like Crystal or other freeware (start with them, there are many interesting soft synth for free out there)
4 10 fingers... or maybe only 1... it doesn't matter...
regards, Lorenzo
themusicman2001
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo is right.

However, do you have a budget...? if so... then you could have a look at a few of the commercial soft-synths about. Try Reason or Absynth, they are both capable of some immense sounds. Not sure what génre you compose in, but here's one of mine using Absynth...

Minor Experiment: http://www.themouthpiece.com/music/minor_experiment.mp3
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for an entire studio-in-a-box, you cannot go wrong with Propellerheads Reason. It has nearly everything one needs for electronic music composition "from soup to nuts" (there's an American colloquialism that makes no literal sense at all).

I have Propellerheads Reason, Ableton Live, Native Instruments Reaktor and Absynth, and about a bazillion freeware softsynths. I use Reason for probably 95% of what I write. It's easy to get your head around, it's extremely versatile, it sounds good, and it contains so much stuff it'll take you years to learn it all, yet it still won't overwhelm you with complexity. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

You will, of course, also need a MIDI controller (i.e., a keyboard), regardless of your choice of packages. And decent monitors - computer speakers will work, but they aren't an ideal choice.
Amystika

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: more Help Reply with quote

thank you everyone, you have no idea how much this has helped.. only a few more ?'s... what is t his VST thing, is it needed? is there another option?... thank you anyone who can help
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is t his VST thing, is it needed?

VST is a type of plug-in architecture for softsynths, allowing them to be inserted in various types of host applications (Ableton Live, Cubase, Sonar, Logic, Tracktion, etc.) and then played as if they were part of those applications.

Many packages support VSTs, and most softsynths - both freeware and commercial - can be used as VSTs (and, in fact, that generally is how they are used, rather than as standalones).

Propellerheads Reason does not support VSTs, as it is designed as an all-in-one software studio. When I want to, I use my VST synths in Ableton Live, although, as I mentioned, I don't use Live nearly as much as I do Reason.
higskies

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Live over Reason because of the fact that Reason doesn't allow additional plugins. I've used both and purchased Live because of that reason alone (pun intended).

Expandability is key, especially if you're young in the game. I would have changed my mind on some of my purchases if I knew their expandability was inferior. Just an insight.
Korg TR, Legacy DE, padKontrol, M-Audio Axiom, Alesis QS7.1, Yamaha YS-200, Casio VZ-8M, Roland D-110, E-mu ESI-32, Absynth 3, FM7, Live 7, Sonar Producer 7, PreSonus Firepod interface, KRK Rokit5 monitors, Focusrite/Behringer/PreSonus preamps, Rode/Blue/Shure mics, kazoos?, Fender Telecaster, Danelectro U2, Epiphone Les Paul Studio, VOX/Peavey/Gorilla amps, Sigma DY10 Acoustic
pillbug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Reason and a midi controller (keyboard) and either a midi interface or USB midi.
And if you want to use other VST softsynths or record audio from other sources (keyboards, guitar, mic, etc) then get a ReWire-compatible software sequencer such as Pro Tools.

Personally I would recommend Mbox2 and Reason, if you have the budget, these two items will let you do all of the above, just add a keyboard controller.

In my experience, Reason is easier and quicker to use than poking buttons while hunched over a Korg Triton Extreme Smile
kabuchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using reason with extreme with just usb no midi, aint that possible or I NEED to use MIDI as well?

not recognizing Extreme usb by it self, what's the score...HELP Please

thanx
Troy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to use VSTs (software plugins), you'll need some program that can act as a host. Many digital audio workstations (DAW) can do this. There are also some free host programs, that don't do anything but host plugins. Of course, there are a lot of different plugins (instruments, effects, etc.).

Start with a free host, and some free VSTs from kvraudio.com.

To use your Korg hardware keyboard, you'll need a host program that can handle external instruments or a plugin that can do that.
kabuchi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx Troy

I actually found out that and tried it already..
it's safe now...

thanx 4 your help

cheers
kabuchi
Troy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Yeah, you've had time. Just thought I would write that in case someone else was just starting. I didn't know the answer when you first posted. Have learned it since then.
kabuchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

I see that, well someone might have benefited...

you never know...

cheers
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabuchi wrote:
I tried using reason with extreme with just usb no midi, aint that possible or I NEED to use MIDI as well?

not recognizing Extreme usb by it self, what's the score...HELP Please

thanx

make sure you installed KORG triton exrtreme USB-MIDI Driver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: