Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie and Z1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korgagent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Newbie and Z1 Reply with quote

As a newbie it seems hard to get around on a Z1.
My dealer is offering me a new one which he has on stock for several years for under 800Euro.
Is there a chance to handle this beast for a newbie?
Would anyone in this forum give advice to a newbie?
Korg MicroX
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

800 Euro seems way overpriced. I bought a mint condition used Z1 in California for $400 USD, which is about 310 Euro.

The Z1 sounds has a very unique sound because the MOSS engine has so many different kinds of physical acoustic models such as bowed and plucked strings. The sound quality is superb, although the filters and effects have an older, digital sound. It's worth buying at the right price, since it also has 12 polyphony/timbres standard, and an excellent aftertouch keyboard with XY pad control.

It does take some time and effort to learn how to edit sounds, but I don't think that's really a problem for newbies willing to try. It's not weird science, and it's usually easy to understand what the parameters do by their name.

But don't expect it to do a great piano or other sounds that need large samples. It is a real synthesizer, not a ROMpler.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie and Z1 Reply with quote

Korgagent wrote:
My dealer is offering me a new one which he has on stock for several years for under 800Euro.

The Z1 was discontinued many years ago. I doubt if it's a new one......most likely used.

Cool
Korgagent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I see, the price has to be lower. My dealer said to me: check it out on the net, I will give you a fair price...
Can the Z1 produce percussion sounds, can the arpeggiator play those percussion sounds like in a workstation?
Korg MicroX
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthetic type drums (like TRx0x or Electribe ER), yes. Sampled, definately no.

If you're going to synthesise your own drums using the Z1, you would ideally need to already have the experience and knowledge in knowing how to go about making them. It can be a steep/slow learning curve, and not really for the faint hearted.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Z1 isn't a beat box. Don't buy it for that. It's great for natural sounding acoustic instruments such as saxophone, guitars, violins, cellos, flutes and wind instruments of all kinds, along with virtual analog synthesis. It would be my last choice for rhythm patterns of any kind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MOSS Option All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: