Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chord Progressions in Techno music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Song writing - Lyrics & Collaboration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shineofleo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Chord Progressions in Techno music Reply with quote

Well, I studies a lot music theory about rock/country/blues/jazz. Normally the chord progression follows some (simple/complicated) rules, or, common pattern.

I am a newbie about electronic music, so there I just use Techno as an example.

My question: is there any rule (or popular pattern) of chord progressions in techno music? Here I juste consider the chord because the automatic Arpeggiotor in Korg products can be set and used very easily. As a result I can press some chords and that's why I am asking about the chord progression. Razz

Please correct me if there is any mistake, and any comment is welcomed!

Regards,

Leon
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I've heard in techno, it seems either to have almost no chord changes at all, or very simple changes you would expect in the most basic of pop music. To my ear, genres like techno are excercises that challeng the 'conventional' standards normally found in conventional music styles, so i think you could get crazy and make up some wacky progressions and play away, why not try some and post them in here for some feedback, could be very interesting
album cover
paul_courville

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember the one time honored rule for electronic music and you'll be ok.

Push all the buttons, turn all the knobs and record what sounds good. Wink
FreshHorses

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a couple things I have noticed:
1. mostly minor keys
2. a lot of ii-vi (2 or 4 bars each) like dm to am for instance,
3. assigning a whole min7th chord to one key and playing crazy patterns with that

generally thou, it depends on what you mean by techno. alot of its dissonnent and dos'nt really have harmonic movement. If you want to do more poppy stuff, buy the book for "I saw the sign" by ace of bass, and study those chord changes. that album has pretty much all the changes you generally hear in electronic dance music. . I know thats not techno thou.
Oldfield

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget you can rip off other peoples' chords from different styles and get something cool.

Check out Tiesto's Adagio for Strings on the ... well various albums, but The Parade of the Athletes is one that springs to mind.

Also that one by Albinoni, was maybe on the soundtrack for Rollerball?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaqluLkepXU&feature=related

Different mix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zWK7qInciw&feature=related

Not that I'm suggesting you directly rip off music like that, but minor chords do seem to go with the style, as said already by FreshHorses.

Neither of which are techno, i guess. Sorry Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Song writing - Lyrics & Collaboration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: