Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VAs - which one to get, pros/cons rundown.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fac

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add my $0.02, if you don't mind Smile

As far as "VA" goes I have a Korg MS2000R, a Waldorf XT, and a Nord Modular G2. Well, the XT and G2 are not VA's per se, but can easily do analog-ish stuff.

I also have a synthesizers.com analog modular, and have owned a Roland JP8000, Nord Micromodular, Juno 106, Korg Poly-800, and others.

If I were to buy another VA, ever, it would be the Nord Lead 2X. Seriously, I love my MS2000 and Waldorf XT, but the Nords have a great sound, great interface, and great build quality.

I don't know how better is the Radias compared to the MS2000. I does have that Korg sound which I also like, but to be honest, it sounds much more digital than analog.

The JP8000 has a nice sound, a bit Juno-ish but thinner and tamer. It has a great interface, though, so it's not a bad choice, but there are better and newer synths out there.

Another option could be the Alesis ION, although I haven't had a chance to play one. I believe it's one of the most analog-sounding VA's out there.

In any case, whatever you get, make sure it has lots of knobs. If you can afford it (which you can, if your price limit is $1500), then forget about the cheapies like the microKorg, R3, Micron, Blofeld, microQ, etc. Get something with knobs and learn how to program the sounds you want.
ayron

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned the Yammie AN1X. Sure, it's not as sexy as the Nords, but has a lot going for it, mainly in the oscs, modulation and filter departments.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything less then a Virus TI or a real analog, like the new Prophet.

It's user interface is kinda quirky, but after some hands-on time makes quite a lot of sense. Plus you can pick one up dirt cheap now.
kvnvk

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shabudua wrote:
So, all you people who owns multiple VA's...What's the best thing about the RADIAS? Why do you own it, and what do you use it for?

personally I find I can get interesting sounds more quickly on the Radias than any of the other synths I own (Nord G2, Nord Lead 3, Waldorf Blofeld, Yamaha DX200), even though the sound quality doesn't reach the level of the Nords or Waldorf that can be remedied to a great degree with external EQ and filtering.
as for why I own the Radias (R) I had an MS2000R as one of my first synths and I got quite a bit of use from it. with the Radias having a similar layout and interface I was interested to see how it compared. needless to say it goes far beyond the capabilities of the MS2000, and I actually preferred the sound of the Radias to the previous Korg synth.
I do mostly noise and droney dark ambient styled music, so those are the type of sounds I program on all my synths. not that the Radias excels in this area compared to the others, but it does have its own distinguishable character.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd add my 24 bits to this debate. Wink

I own a few VAs myself: Roland JP-8000, Yamaha AN-200, a MOSS expansion on my Karma, an Ensoniq Fizmo, the EXB-Radias board for my M3, and recently an Access Virus KC. I would add to that a Kurzweil K2000R, as it also has modeled oscillators and filters like any other VA. Each one has distinct differences.

The JP-8000 is an 8 voice, two oscillator, multimode filter synth that has a very Roland sound to it, which is great for me, though it has some of the character of Arps and Oberheims as well. The oscillators and filters are very nice, and this was one of the early synths to feature Supersaw waves, useful for strings and highly detuned techno patches. The synth engine does seem to be a little weak, as almost every patch is heavily EQed. It also aliases at high pitches badly. One disadvantage is having to go through weird hoops to assign a different velocity to an envelope generator. But other pluses are a good chorus/delay effect, a ribbon controller, and a wild sounding feedback oscillator. The four octave keyboard, while having a nice feel, lacks pressure response.

The AN-200 is a 5 voice, two oscillator, multimode filter with high pass synth module based on the AN1x, though the AN1x has 10 voices and a sub-oscillator. The sound is reminiscent of the Minimoog and Prophet 5, which is a very nice thing. The filters are nice and juicy, and the synth engine features a feedback path for getting those wild Brian Eno patches. The multieffect is basic but very nice sounding, with a good reverb. The keyboard has a nice touch, with pich and mod wheels and a ribbon controller, along with ten control knobs and two "scene" buttons. I believe that aliasing at high pitches is mild.

The Z1 and other MOSS based synthesizers are very nice, featuring three oscillators with a staggering number of parameters, dual multimode filters and a wealth of LFOs, envelope generators and control sources. My MOSS board is only 6 voice, but the Z1 is 12 or 18 voice with a proprietary Z1 expansion board installed. The sound is reminiscent of the Oberheim, Arp and Roland synths, but you can get some CS-80 textures, and some Minimoog sound out of it if you're careful with pulse width settings. The effects are decent, save for the distortion which is rather digital sounding, and the reverb which is very thin and grainy. The oscillators also alias at high pitches like mad. On the plus side of the Z1, you have a nice knob laden control panel along with several control buttons, pitch and mod wheels, and a great touch pad. The keyboard, while well made, has a very heavy semi-weighted action which tires my fingers.

The Kurzweil, while it is a rompler, has some very nice VA capabilities, with software oscillators generating sawtooth, square and sine waves, and a very clever if slightly arcane method of achieving pulse width modulation. Amazingly, the oscillators will also hard sync in a few algorithms. The multimode filters are very nice and juicy, and even include a 24db Moogish filter, though the overall sound is rather generic and hard to place in any synth family, though in many cases, this is a good thing as it lets you fit the Kurz to many styles of music. Depending on the algorithm, the K2000 averages about 12 notes of polyphony, with a max of 24. Synth voices can have three layers, each one a full featured synth voice, eating up a voice.

The Ensonic Fizmo is a wavetable synth like the Waldorfs. With up to four layers, it can deliver a rich sound thanks to its nice selection of wavetables, some taken from Waldorf synths themselves, run through nice multimode filters. The effects are also very nice with a good reverb. Unfortunately, Fizmos often need to be fixed at a shop thanks to much of them being given bad power rectifiers and power adaptors which are too weak for the synth. I have yet to use mine much because I still have to see about mine. In action, it can only be compared to a Waldorf, so a Blofeld or other poly Waldorf might be a better choice.

The Virus is a big, beefy sounding synth, with filters that can run up to a heavy 36db slope! The German filters seem to be the most aggressive in the synth world, as even the lighter 12db slopes are darker than the same filter on my other synths. Because of this, getting a light sound is a lot more work on the Virus, or any sound I'm working on. Those filters cut like Ginus into oscillator harmonics. However, with up to three oscillators and a sub-osc, it's more of a Moog than a Moog is! The envelopes are snappy, the filters punchy, and getting thick, beefy bass sounds is almost what it's made for. My Virus KC boasts up to 32 note polyphony, but add that third oscillator, a smooth hall reverb and doubled oscillators, and polyphony can cut down a LOT. The panel is laden with a wealth of knobs and buttons, but many more features are buried in menus, as this is a very deep synth. The keyboard on such models feels very nice, and the effects unit has a nice range of features. Aliasing at high frequencies is almost non-existent. Unfortunately, there are only up/down buttons for selecting banks and patches.

Another pair of synths to keep in mind are the Alesis Ion and Fusion. Alesis managed to recreate some fantastic filters, modeled after famous types like the Minimoog, Arp 2600 and Oberheims. They sound great, and aliasing is essentially nothing. While the Ion - and smaller Micron - are 8 voice synths with only velocity sensitive keyboards, they have a nice range of knobs and buttons for editing or patch morfing on the fly. The Fusion is half rompler and only has four knobs and buttons, but its synth engine has more filter models and is up to 120 note polyphonic! It's also a hard disc based multitrack, but has been discontinued, so get 'em while you can.

One more mention needs to go to the Nord Leads. These synths have a reputation for amazing build quality and a bright sound that cuts through a mix. While this is true, you can certainly make a wealth of darker, muted patches for it with their extensive knob and switch laden panels. The Lead 2s have two oscillators, while the Lead 3s have three oscillators for a much bigger sound, along with five octave velocity AND pressure sensitive keyboards. While they lack effects, you can pick up a reasonable multieffects unit to use with it. The Nord Modular G2s while being much more powerful, thanks to their modular setups, also feature physical modeling aspects.

The Radias seems to fall squarely in the middle of the universe. It's 24 note polyphonic with two oscillator and dual multimode filters, depending on timbers and waveshaper sub-oscillators used, but one timber patches are often plenty big. The only drawbacks I've found so far are that the keyboard lacks pressure sensing and is only four octave, and the synth engine only offers one oscillator with pulse width. Well, that matters to me. Razz This is also an issue with the EXB board only, as the Radias synth offers up to four layers perpatch for ridiculous sound making power.

The dual filters are where the Radias stands out. In particular, the first one which is fully variable between 24db lowpass, through bandpass, highpass and notch. Even small changes can make a big difference in the sound. These filters give the Radias the chameleon potential to sound like most of the vintage synths on the market, as well as charting all new sonic territory. I've been able to craft CS-80 patches, then Moogs, then Oberheims, then Prophets... virtually anything. While it has a bright character, you can turn it into a dark, snarling beast with 24db slopes and distortion. The envelopes are fast and snappy, delivering a lot of punch, and if you need more, there's even a Punch parameter! The effects are very nice, with a good lush reverb, and as I understand it, the dual effects are per timber, so if you have a four layer timber, you can have a lot happening.

While a lot of demos show off the amazing techno capabilities, don't think for a moment that it's just a dance synth. It does it all, so the only limiting factor with it is you.
fijaicairo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: I really dig this!!! Reply with quote

Toumal wrote:

http://www.playspoon.com/music/monomachinetest1.mp3

I really dig this!!!
Where can I hear more of your stuff?
fierlion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: I really dig this!!! Reply with quote

fijaicairo wrote:
Toumal wrote:

http://www.playspoon.com/music/monomachinetest1.mp3

I really dig this!!!
Where can I hear more of your stuff?

I second the 'I dig this'. It's got a very Air groove going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: