Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transfer individual audio tracks from keyboard to PC softwar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Transfer individual audio tracks from keyboard to PC softwar Reply with quote

Please help, I am unfamiliar with digital audio.

I have tracks written down in my keyboard's sequencer.I would like to individually export each track's audio into my computer's software. How do I export tracks individually, but in such a way that its as though I hit the software's "record" and my keyboard's "play" buttons at the same time, so all the track's beats match in the software sequencer as they matched in keyboard's sequencer.

My setup is:

keyboard -> audio interface -> computer.

I am trying to export audio tracks(not midi), individually, but in such a way that after exporting them, their beats match perfectly.

Any help is appreciated.
mbncp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different ways to do so, but the easiest is probably to export the midi first, load it into your software sequencer, solo each midi track one after the other and recording them as audio.

This may be a problem if the midi file has sysex and your soft sequencer ignores them.

Another way is to have your soft seq sending midi clock to the keyboard, solo each track on the keyb seq this time and record the audio one after the other.

If you have tempo changes you may still want to first export the midi and load it into your soft seq at least to have the tempo track.

Best would be to have the keyboard bouncing all the tracks individualy and this automatically, and then just import the audio files into the soft seq, but then I don't know of any keyboard smart enought to do that.
RVNOak
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound advice from mbncp.

I'm too much of a control freak. Even though I can play six tracks at a time and record them into computer via my interface, I choose to do them one at a time and just move the individual tracks until they are in sync. That's just me. I have, many times over, done what mbncp suggested and it works just as well (even better when you include the fact that you save time). I dunno - for some reason I get a kick out of doing each one individually.

There will be a small learning curve, as mbncp mentioned on sysex messages, but once you learn the basic setup it's easy.
philtipping

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another trick for shunting audio tracks around in general is to add a sync spike to the beginning of each track before you start the transfer. Create the spike on one track and copy & paste it to exactly the same point in all the others.
It can be pretty close to sample-perfect if you make it very sharp and zoom right in when re-aligning the tracks on the destination.
If you can't create audio spikes on your sequencer, use a midi note.
Obviously this only allows you to align the track starting points; you'll need something like midi sync (as mentioned in the previous replies) if they drift out of step, but this shouldn't be a problem unless the tracks are very long.

A couple of caveats (from bitter experience Wink )
Make the spike wide enough to withstand degradation if it's going to pass through A to D converters, otherwise it might disappear after a couple of transfers back & forth.
Don't place the spike too close to the music if you intend adding reverb later; the spike reverb tail could run into the music. In fact if you intend doing more tranfers, avoid processing the spike completely.
Phil.
RVNOak
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmm............. I like that idea!!
boardkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot for your help, I pretty much have an idea of how to work with my problem now.
philtipping

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always transferring tracks back & forth between a PC and multi-track hard disc recorder; I use the PC for basic wave editing as I like the visual feedback, but prefer to mix and process via an analogue mixer. The PC card can only handle 8 tracks at a time, and I use an ADAT optical link which keeps them in sync, but I have the same problem as boardkey with starting play & record on the two units at the same time.
It is possible to use MIDI chase mode, but not all devices have it, and it usually takes several seconds to sync, so you have to remember to leave a long gap at the start of each track.
Much easier to just 'splice' in a click mark and make sure it always goes where the track goes.
Another caveat - don't do what I did when I first tried it, and make the spikes at 0dB - can guarantee a brown trouser moment when 24 tracks start up in sync Shocked
Phil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: