Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One important question before I run at the store to buy a KP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volvagia

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: One important question before I run at the store to buy a KP Reply with quote

Hello guys. I 'm on to buying a KP3 but my only very important question is this:

Is the KP3, next to a brilliant effects tool, also good for just creating some cool beats and tunes... sort of a standalone instrument? I already saw some vids on Youtube showing the KP3 skills without input (internal samplers only)
but i'm just not sure just yet Smile

Thanks!
subVert

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some creative videos on YouTube, but the important thing to remember is that your creativity will be limited to working with 4 samples. You can't load a sample or a new bank of samples without interrupting the sound. You can use one of the effects programs that don't require input like the synth effects and save that to a pad.
Zedius

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kp3 is not a stand alone instrument. It's mostly an effects box. It has 4 fairly short samples, and these are all run through the same effects. I think that if you had 2 of them to shoot back and forth at each other, that would be a neat instrument. But with just one of them, and the sample loading time etc. it's pretty limited as an instrument.

It's a rad effects box. It's probably a rad midi controller as well, but I haven't tried that yet.
didjeko

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree withe this last opinion :
- the kaoss is truly a stand-alone instrument.
- it is full of creativty. the power to transform & resample loops if very creative, and is to my opinion a "problem" because the number of good loops that can be made out of other loops is unlimited.
Practically, I only use it to play my loops, never as a unit effect over some music. I dit it for fun, just to see, to test transforming kora for example.

kaoss is versatile, there isn't one way to use it.
so, I think you'd better take some cd's you'd like to play on, some loops of your own, then go to the shop & have a try to make your opnion by yourself.
the kaoss is a kind of UFO, it doesn't have onlyLFOs.
Using a device not in the way it was designed by the manufacturer is creative approach.
dayuri

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be a stand alone instrument in a non live setting, but in a live setting the sample load times are far too long for it to be stand alone. Nearly a minute of dead air if you're loading 4 samples and it cannot load without disrupting all output, which unless you're doing standup between tracks, is totally unacceptable.
Volvagia

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a bunch, lads. I think I will use it quite a lot with beatboxing, like beardy man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: