Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg N1R Rocket Science

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spherion

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Korg N1R Rocket Science Reply with quote

I'm a piano player turned guitarist and am now working on getting a synth setup for basic sounds for my band. I purchased an N1R in excellent condition off of ebay and and it seems adequate for the very few synth parts that my band plans to utilize it for. I just need a few good piano sounds and a Van Halen-esque synth replica.

My problem lies in the hours I've spent trying to wrap my head around the way sounds are organized and my manual is deteriorating fast! All I want to do is cycle through all of the presets, pick the patches that I like and save them to one bank. I aim to locate all the piano sounds and synth sounds, store them in one place and possibly do some slight edits.

The last time I've dealt with synth/keyboards was in the DX-7 days, so obviously, times have changed! I've probably reset the unit to factory default at least 15 times since I've gotten it because I get totally lost and have to start from the beginning.

Can someone who knows something about the N1/R please walk me through step by step how to save a patch to a user bank (and recall it)? I'm entirely confused by the CmbU, CmbA... performance patches... etc. I just want to be able to turn the unit on, get to my bank, and cycle up or down to change sounds.

So far I've managed to navigate to say, a decent piano sound. I select edit, pick between Performance and Combination (or Effect), get out of the mode by selecting "Write" and am asked to save it in preset "001". I save it, and I have no idea where it went. I cycle to the CmbU bank and everything looks, reads, and sounds the same as before I saved it.

I'm not interested in the software in that I don't have a means to connect this to a PC (serial port? USB through my M-Audio Keystation 88ES?). Plus I'd like to be able to edit this from the front panel so I don't have to take a laptop out with me in a live situation.

Please, please advise if you can.

Thanks in advance.
gothbin

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I need more than one sound, I'll save yhem into a performance. Say for recording a song or whatsoever. Look if write protection is off! I don't know if N1R and N1 is the same in editting, but I guess it is.
Spherion

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write protection is definitely off.
gothbin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But can you store them in a performance, or is the machine refusing that too? It should be possible to write them in a user bank. But you are right the manual stinks for these machines. Later this week when I have some time I will dive into my manual and see what it says.

Robin.
gothbin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading my manual right now, but there isn't much about it. I also read your initial post and noticed that you are confused by combi's and prg's. Combi's use more layer to achieve the sound and can't be stored in a prg bank and vice versa. So you need to make to lists of what you want. Proberly the best sound for Piano is the N1 piano patch from thr prg a list. You must be able to save it in prg user bank. You can only save to user banks wether it is about combi's or prg's.

I'm Dutch and my manual is in German so I need some time to translate it for myself. I left all my banks intact as it came out of the factory, and I use to save patches in performances - just anpther way around with one culprit: all the fx are the same for every patch -so beware of it.

I will chime in every other day to see if I can offer some more help to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: