Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If the forum really ANSWERED my questions....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HPH24

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: If the forum really ANSWERED my questions.... Reply with quote

... I would never think of PMing a moderator, but that never really seems to happen. I can't believe I am the only person to have my occasional issues, but that's how it ends up feeling.

I have several years of sequences trapped on 01W floppies that will not transfer into Cubase. I cannot save them as SMFs on any kind of floppy, so that new tip for a fix bore no fruit; they have yet to go into Cubase from any angle without scrambling the programs in the sequence, no matter where I start the sequence from, ruining the composition; and when I call Korg, I get good treatment but NO ANSWER THAT WORKS, after 7 weeks of struggle.

If someone has bought FIVE Korg synths over the years, one of which was a TR61 a few months ago, shouldn't that person be able to get a working answer from the company? Especially over what still feels like some clumsy software-switch issue that's entirely fixable? Do I have to trash about SEVEN YEARS OF WORK because I trusted the files to be transferrable when I wrote the music, all in a flagship workstation?

SURELY not. If Kitaro can send a DV800 back to Korg for repair, surely an instrument 15 years more recent can be fixed too, when its not even a mechanical issue... SURELY.... or do you have to be a professional for the company to do some footwork after you've run dry on ideas? I can't believe the O1Wfd will not send its sequences to another sequencer without trashing them...

Confused
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again..HPH,

Same issue for me, except I just assumed after some tries it was a mess....It is not killing me yet, as I still use the O1W for what little arranging I do..(for Churches..), and it has held up well. I know I will have to try sometime so I am hoping still that you will get an answer!

Best of Luck..And regards!! John (ellll) Rolling Eyes
HPH24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ellll"] Same issue for me, except I just assumed after some tries it was a mess....It is not killing me yet, as I still use the O1W for what little arranging I do..(for Churches..), and it has held up well. I know I will have to try sometime so I am hoping still that you will get an answer!

Me too. I was hoping to tweak those pieces with Cubase's mastering tools and effects, as well as blend newer, brighter synths into it all. That goes triple for an orchestral thing I did, which would sound far better with MOTU's Symphonic Instrument substituted for the tracks I wrote in the 01. You can't replace or quantize tracks that are being jimmied by a distorted data packet. Don't you LOVE those totally resistant problems whose solutions always seem to reside just beyond your fingertips?
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No my friend,

I sure don't love them.....thats why a await the sufferers to find an answer I can read on the two forums!!! I am way too old to fight it all now...so I hope you get it worked out for "me".... Very Happy Shocked

Good luck always to the HPH...You have done a work for the O1w series...thats for sure!!!

Best!! John Rolling Eyes (ellll)
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HPH:

Have you looked in Giebler Enterprises conversion tools:

http://www.midifile.com/#01wsmf

http://www.giebler.biz/main.sc

Regards,

Jerry
HPH24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jerrythek"]Hi HPH:

Have you looked in Giebler Enterprises conversion tools:
http://www.midifile.com/#01wsmf
http://www.giebler.biz/main.sc

That would be great, except I am using an Intel Mac. NO ONE offers a utility for this job yet, as far as I have seen. The 01W utility would have done that neatly, but its all Windows, so I'm still stuck. I REALLY hate calling the poor guys at the Korg help desk again. Its begun to seem like a pointless nag. I'm going to have to fly to Japan to get this done....
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HP:

I see. I would still contact Gary - I see that he does offer a disk recovery service, and I wonder if you two couldn't work out a way to get things accomplished.

Regards,

Jerry
HPH24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jerrythek"]Hi HP:

I see. I would still contact Gary - I see that he does offer a disk recovery service, and I wonder if you two couldn't work out a way to get things accomplished.

I do not understand quite what you mean by disk recovery and he is all-Windows anyway. I can try, but I am not willing to PAY for some weird solution. I've already paid enough, in cash and frustration. The DISKS perform well, use after use. The 01W is not sending out ALL of its sequencer data, despite numerous approaches, so its bounbd to be the villain. The data is there, because the 01 will play it all back properly INTERNALLY. I need to know why the synth is arbitrarily holding back the program changes.

SOMEONE at Korg knows what this problem means! SOMEone out there has tried to send that sequencer data to Sonar or the like. The company designed the thing to do exactly this kind of work and I'm ready to press them harder. Its too basic and reasonable a function to have this much trouble. I've sweated for years to reach this point. After all the Korg products I have bought, I deserve a solution to this simple but totally ruinous issue. All I need to know is "What settings are required to send ALL of the data OUT?"

I especially hate this because it almost requires that a tech be able to LOOK at the SOB and that is problematic when we are in different states. I have been troubleshooting this kind of crap for so long now, I would throw all of this fussy gear OUT if there was any other halfway comparable way to orchestrate. Its my last barrier, so I'm not going to give up and 4 or 5 hours' worth of compositions to this.

I WILL give your idea a try. ANYthing that will solve it short of breaking the bank is fair game!
Rolling Eyes
HPH24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried using a 1.4 mb floppy to save SMFs, as suggested, with the lower tab taped over and then NOT taped over, but the $#@! synth keeps saying "Disk Type Error" to BOTH kinds when newly formatted, so I can't even TRY to convert things and get the program change header to finally show up as it should.

Cubase shows that its recording note data and pitch bends, for example, so I know its not Cubase. Its simply not being SENT the data.

If the 01W will send that info to hardware modules (if you set the sequencer tracks up to use different channels), then why the heck is it NOT doing so when Cubase IS recording everything else?

I've had 2 very logical-sounding suggestions that could have worked, if the 01W would TALK STRAIGHT. I am appreciative of Ian at Korg, who has tried to solve this, but I am ready to go to the corporate level and REALLY press hard. Does it seem at all reasonable that a $2600 flagship workstation will not send its own $#@! program changes OUT?? I don't think so. I am feeling pretty angry at this point. Its just not a reasonable situation.

Any further suggestions before I quit fooling around online and start racking up a big phone bill, maybe to JAPAN, for an answer?
mikemolloyuk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Another solution might be to record all the tracks as audio in your Mac. This would mean loading up a song and muting all but 2 racks at a time so that the audio can be made into wave files. This would allow you to add effects etc and tie them all up togethjer in a DAW to remix or add more to the songs.

Worth a try?

Mike
HPH24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uktechsupport wrote:
Hi

Another solution might be to record all the tracks as audio in your Mac. This would mean loading up a song and muting all but 2 racks at a time so that the audio can be made into wave files. This would allow you to add effects etc and tie them all up togethjer in a DAW to remix or add more to the songs.

The issue is that I very badly need to QUANTIZE the older material as MIDI data and the damned 01W refuses to send out its program changes in those sequences or even save anything as a SMF. Saving each track as audio won't help there at all. I was told by Korg that if I saved them as SMFs, I could then have that vital last bit of control and get the program changes to appear, but despite trying both SS and HD diskettes, the thing says "Disk Type Error." WTF??? That's totally bizarre.
Cubase's MIDI Event List says its getting all data but program changes and NO ONE has offered me anything that worked yet. I am out of ideas and disgusted. Its not Cubase at fault; its retaining and replaying all other information. Its the 01W. When even a factory tech can't answer this and every other aspect of the synth still works properly, that's F****D. Kitaro can send an ancient DV800 to the factory and get a fix, but no one can tell me why a $2600 flagship won't send out ONE PIECE of its sequencer data. Incredible. Its not like Ian at Korg has not TRIED, but wouldn't you think that if he was finally stumped, he could go up the line until someone could be found who could resolve this seemingly VERY SIMPLE ISSUE? Within an entire company whose product *IS* SYNTHS? Evil or Very Mad At this point, I call Bad Customer Relations. When its this small an issue and its just information you are seeking, not parts or a refund, it shouldn't be this hard, period.
MadDonna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's that important, than buy an G3 or G4 mac, here in the netherlands you can buy them for between the 30 and 100 euro's and use the tools jerrythek mentioned.
And using an other Korg? Like the N364 or comparable can they read them and send them to Cubase? Cubase? How do you know that the Korg is the problem and not Cubase?

regards,

Marco

HPH24 wrote:
uktechsupport wrote:
Hi

The issue is that I very badly need to QUANTIZE the older material as MIDI data and the damned 01W refuses to send out its program changes in those sequences or even save anything as a SMF. Saving each track as audio won't help there at all. I was told by Korg that if I saved them as SMFs, I could then have that vital last bit of control and get the program changes to appear, but despite trying both SS and HD diskettes, the thing says "Disk Type Error." WTF??? That's totally bizarre.
Cubase's MIDI Event List says its getting all data but program changes and NO ONE has offered me anything that worked yet. I am out of ideas and disgusted. Its not Cubase at fault; its retaining and replaying all other information. Its the 01W. When even a factory tech can't answer this and every other aspect of the synth still works properly, that's F****D. Kitaro can send an ancient DV800 to the factory and get a fix, but no one can tell me why a $2600 flagship won't send out ONE PIECE of its sequencer data. Incredible. Its not like Ian at Korg has not TRIED, but wouldn't you think that if he was finally stumped, he could go up the line until someone could be found who could resolve this seemingly VERY SIMPLE ISSUE? Within an entire company whose product *IS* SYNTHS? Evil or Very Mad At this point, I call Bad Customer Relations. When its this small an issue and its just information you are seeking, not parts or a refund, it shouldn't be this hard, period.
musikforum

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys!
I have saved all my old 01W-files to Cubase without any problem:
- do not set any MIDI-filter at Cubas
- set on recording channel to "ALL" (channels)
- set Cubase to "Midi-sync"
- start sequenzer at 01/W

in this way I could record all my sequences in any software-sequencer, including all control/programm-change ór what-ever-data.

The thing with "disc ty error":
You have to use DD-discs or to "make" a HD-disc into a DD-disc this way:

- close the hole on the disc with tape
- format the disc WITH YOUR PC to "DD-760kb" (or whatever it is)

The result is a DD-type-disc that should run on your 01/W

Greetings Wink
Musikforum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: