Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KP3, an e-guitar and a problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crims

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: KP3, an e-guitar and a problem Reply with quote

Well, found nothing here about kp3 hooked with a guitar, therefore the new topic

About the problem. Whe, in our band, are using the kp3 to put effects on an e-guitar, already for a few months. Mic jack IN, Phones jack OUT to the amp.
Latley, after about an hour of playing, the kp3 just stops to give out distorted sound with the Effects Mod.3, Md.10 and others (well, the ones we are using most often), well it does, just it sounds like something is missing. The sound isnt the same anymore and everytime we play we just dont know when the kp will give up. We tried to adjust levels, incoming etc. It is something with the effect, cuz the clean sound is ok.
We checked the cables, the guitar, everythings allright... Sad

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there...it is a shame we don't have much feed back from those of us who use Kaoss pads with guitar. But you know what?! There are still some of us out there.

Anyhow, I've been working with Kaoss pads for my guitar rig for years. I started with a KP2 and now I love my new KP3.

In my set up I always work with a multi-effects processor of some sort. Currently I'm working with the AX3000. From the Multi I go a stereo out into the KP3 by way of 1/4 to RCA. From the RCA outs of the Kaoss pad into 2 AMPs/ Mixer / PA.

I have tried going through the mic channel on the KPs before, I have never been happy with the sound. I have not experienced the KP just "giving up", but I'm sure the driving force of the signal into the mic input made it wished it had. It was just really noisy.

So if you can go through the RCAs, then I think you will be fine. If you have an effect that takes your mono signal and makes it into "fake" stereo then you are good to go. Most Muti effect boards do this as well as some stereo effects for guitars. If you are only stuck with just mono then go into the left side input of the KP3 and go out the left side. That should work.

Best of Luck to Ya,

SMK
m4m

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a boss ls2 line selector for my 2 kaos, it matches the impedenca and allow you to bypass the digital circuitery of the KP's
ronaldwidha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So if you can go through the RCAs, then I think you will be fine

Confirmed! I got similar problem like you mention if I plug my guitar from mic in, even setting the trim to minimum setting.
Looks like RCA is the only way to go, KP3 pre amp is just too warm for a guitar.
crims

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wont work thru the RCA - the input level is kinda low, even on max volume on input AND max guitar volume...
cuz when you go only thru the RCAs, you cant control the output levels (using phones you can). so you only contol the input, witch is then max, and thats not enough.
we now are using it the old tested way and pray the pad wont stop working...
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crims wrote:
wont work thru the RCA - the input level is kinda low, even on max volume on input AND max guitar volume...
cuz when you go only thru the RCAs, you cant control the output levels (using phones you can). so you only contol the input, witch is then max, and thats not enough.
we now are using it the old tested way and pray the pad wont stop working...

What?!?!?!

RCAs work fine on my rig and the KP3 is the last thing in my effects chain!!!!!!

Are you using any type of effects possessor/floor board...GT6,GT8,AX3000,Line 6Pod before the KP3?
crims

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMK wrote:

What?!?!?!

RCAs work fine on my rig and the KP3 is the last thing in my effects chain!!!!!!

Are you using any type of effects possessor/floor board...GT6,GT8,AX3000,Line 6Pod before the KP3?

Nope, the KP3 is between a Fender Tele and an amplifier. We use it just to put effects on the guitar sound. Therefore we use jacks and not RCA input/output. Cuz of the problems we tried RCA, but it didnt work if we didnt turn the amp volume to max.
Lately we havent experianced any problems, but we just never know...

P.S. we think about bying an ART Z-Direct passive direct box to balance the signals..
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crims wrote:
SMK wrote:

What?!?!?!

Nope, the KP3 is between a Fender Tele and an amplifier. We use it just to put effects on the guitar sound. Therefore we use jacks and not RCA input/output. Cuz of the problems we tried RCA, but it didnt work if we didnt turn the amp volume to max.
Lately we havent experianced any problems, but we just never know...

P.S. we think about bying an ART Z-Direct passive direct box to balance the signals..

Oooooohhh...now I know what's missing. Hope you check back on this thread soon.

I keep forgetting that when I work with Kaoss pads that I always use an effect drive boost of some sort. I bought the px4d just for this very reason when I got the Mini KP. All the volume issues I had vanished afterwards. Also when I have put the multi-effect before the KP2 (at the time but now I use a KP3), it is also puts out a drive signal. I used a GT6 for this in the beginning. I think if you got a drive/pre-amp pedal of some sort to go from your guitar then to the KP3 then you should be fine. All the KPs need a some form of a pre-amp and cannot drive on their own.

Hope you can try this and I hope you like the results.
Pirx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use the KP3 as an effect for my guitar, which works fine (often using the HOLD-button). Outer space sounds are possible, it's fun.
So my setup is: the guitar into a Vox Tonelab into a small mixer (Yamaha MG10/2), from there into the KP3 via RCA, then into another mixer (cheap Phonic 1807 something), then into an amp or laptop or multitracker, whatever. I've got lots of flexibility this way without too much loss of signal on it's way through the units. I even can route the KP3-signal back into itself, which enables me to produce some interesting controlled feedback.
So it's important to get some sort of preamplified signal to feed the KP3. I tried the Mic-In, but it didn't work well, also the Input-Control for the RCA is more stable and comfortable to work with.

Pirx
crims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!
So we need a preamp.
As soon as we get one, i'll report on the results!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: