Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

padKontrol as step sequencer with visual feedback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
selthy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: padKontrol as step sequencer with visual feedback Reply with quote

After many months of searching and trying many different free and commercial solutions I could not find a way to use my padKontrol as a Step Sequencer with visual feedback. Last night I read a post about how to get ableton live to feed midi back into the padKontrol to control the lights. I then got my hands dirty and created this live set:

http://www.selthy.com/misc/Drum%20Sequencer%20Template1.2.als

I have tested this on a PC running vista and Live 6.09. The padkontrol is being powered and midi is being exhanged via USB.

Installation:
- Start Padkontrol and load a scene that has the 16 pads mapped from C2 - d#3 (on the padkontrol which is C1 - d#2 in ableton).

- Open Drum Sequencer Template 1.2 in ableton ive (tested and working on 6.09)

- In Options > Preferences > Midi - ensure Output padkontrol 1 CTRL is set to on for Track & Remote

- Now check that the output of the play track is set to padkontrol Ch1 (It should be by default).

Using the Sequencer
- Start the clip in the play track.

- On the padkontrol press Setting then Prog Change then Midi Channel and use the control knob to rotate through the midi channels (listed Below)

Midi Channels
- 1 = Kick (impulse Slot 1)
- 2 = Snare (impulse Slot 2)
- 3 = Percusion A (impulse Slot 3)
- 4 = Percusion B (impulse Slot 4)
- 5 = Percusion C (impulse Slot 5)
- 6 = Percusion D (impulse Slot 6)
- 7 = Hi Hat 1 (impulse Slot 7)
- 8 = Hi Hat 2 (impulse Slot

Although you can place any sample you like to be triggered by in impulse. Load whatever impulse preset you like in track 25 (Drums).

Pads 1 - 16 control steps 1 - 16 of a 1 bar loop.
After the 1st play the pad will stay highlighted on the padkontrol until you remove that step.

Ideas:
- Instead of Impulse load up your favourite drum sampler and tweak the Pitch Control in the last 8 tracks corresponding to each of the drum hits to match the midi notes that the sampler plays back. (ie. for Battery Change the Pitch of the kick back to 0, the Snare back to + 1 etc)

- Assign one of the knobs on the padkontrol to the pitch control of the drum hit (last 8 tracks) and tweak away to trigger random samples.
parris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds hot i'll give it a try................Thanks................. Wink
TheOctoberProject

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds sweet! i'll be checking that out in a bit! thanks much.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool ! Thanks !
selthy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to update the Live Set or offer feedback.
jakeboi@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, this is a bit of an old thread but hopefully someone may come to my aid..

I have done exactly as the instructions state but all that is happening when i hit the play clip is the impulse sequence is repeating over and over and touching the padKontrol doesn't have any effect, I know ableton is recieving the midi because the green light is showing when i touch a pad :/

any input would be lovely!

Jake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: