Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any free comp. programs, like Cakewalk, Sibelius etc?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Any free comp. programs, like Cakewalk, Sibelius etc? Reply with quote

Always thinking of a way to get a "usable" program without purchase..So much free stuff these days/ I mean, if AVG is free....
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never Mind... Rolling Eyes I found ..: "Freebyte Music Zone"..One I didn't have..and will go thru it...Try it if you haven't...

regards, ellll/John Rolling Eyes
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting link, thanks a lot!

please, keep us posted if you try some of these and let us know how do you find them.

regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O...K...!,

I like the Anvil Studio...It is rather intuitive and at times simple, BUT it has the cap. to be quite complex, w/ mult. tracks...import.export..use any inst you have hooked up midi, comp programs, and effects as well..

Hope someone who knows what they are doing will look and someone who knows the program may give a overall view????

I would like something like this, that can be played direct or moused, and this may be a good beginner for me...!!!

Regards!! John (ellll) Rolling Eyes
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anvil Studio.

Better than I can see right now.! Also gettin' a couple of others to try from my computer guy......I have the Anvil.. coming and going midi.. and am working now on a sync method of some kind to play in real time more easily.(I have it "fair, but of course you have to go in and change your note and rest values in edit mode.....but I will probably run out of gas before I do...(I usually do..)

Also..He wants me to take a Soundblaster X-Fi Platinium soundcard..about $190 installed...What about it??? Mine right now is sorry..(.forget what it is...)

ellll (John) Rolling Eyes
Milter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys should try this: http://reaper.fm/

Really simple and it does what you need it to do. In a simple and powerfull tool. I don't use much high-end features in my DAW only simple MIDI and audio with inserts and a couple of master effects.

It'll cost you $50, but the trial have no restrictions as faar as I know. It's supposed to be developed by the same guy who made winamp and the gnutella network. I don't know if he's a great musician, but he listens to the users, and he knows how to program.

Speaking of effects. Try these simple and GREAT VSTs, they are absolutly free and are developed by some of my countrymen Very Happy http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

Have a good one!

Cool
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Yes, Reaper is very good AFAIK.
BTW, I would not buy a Soundblaster on anything from Creative for audio purposes.
With the same cash you can buy something better for music from M-Audio, Edirol, maybe used Echo or E-Mu, which are far better for music.

Of course, it highly depends on what you'll want to do, if you're not into gaming and/or heavy sound effects from movies, skip the "Creative stage" and go somewhere else.

regards

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and sugg!

I am not sure on the Soundblaster, not having your experiance with it..(or..actually, none at all..) but he removed it and gave the guy (new buyer who wanted the most simple sound card possible...), ..the additional cash off the brand new compurer set-up. (probably gave him 25 or fifty off..!!!) It was bought elsewhere, then the owner died...My Computer Tech bought it/estate sale..for re-sale..The set-up was only about one month old, I understand...

I can probably get him to $150-175...and its normally $189 retail, I understand..(???) and with the term "installed" added, ..(thats GOOD for non tech "me") it seemes attractive...(??) Where does Soundblaster break down compared with others..Diego or Anybody?

My Regards!!! John (ellll) Rolling Eyes
Voltan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Diego. The new blasters are OK but they're mostly intended for gaming, movies and stuff. You pay additional bucks for fancy enviromental effects and 3D stuff you'll never use for music and recording.
If you're not into gaming alot, it's better to get a card dedicated for musicians, as suggested. You'll get better recording quality that way, for a similar price.
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks..Well Said,

And thats what I will do...Not that I don't game...we do it on a big LCD set downstairs...so this computer, which only does music and a little email is by itself...

So you also are saying (you, or others)get M-Audio?..I have the midisport UNO..simple, works perfectly, but I still do a lot from stereo inputs, until I have time to learn..What model soundcard do I NEED for music, with classical/hall/aud. type ambience available when needed? I don't mind spending a little. What would show an improvement just by installation..no external control...

By the way..this came with, I just found out...Avance AC 97 audio...SO..I need to replace it..?

My Thanks!!! John (ellll) Rolling Eyes
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ellll!

Well, IMHO, it's a matter of good drivers and good A/D convertors.
Audio quality comes significantly from these two factors.

Give a look to M-Audio products: http://www.m-audio.net/index.php?do=products.list&ID=pciinterfaces or http://www.m-audio.net/index.php?do=products.list&ID=mobileinterfaces

It depends if you need external or internal audio interface.
BTW, giev us a precise budget, and if you want we can help to figure out what's the best solution for you. Don't forget to give a look to the used market, too.

regards

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo.K...,

I am gonna go with the M-Audio, Audiophile 2496, unless some of you tell me to step up...It would be more economical than the Soundblaster the comp. guy offered me...and seems from the general info...to offer more..(I looked at this before...) and to be widely used, more simple; but with good class musicians, inc. classical, like I am..I don't plan much equip...another keyboard synth being most likely.....

Let me know if this will serve, and if it is easy enough to install (both physical and electrical..) Shocked I'll do it myself...maybe...0rder it next wk..

My Regards..John (ellll) Rolling Eyes
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know something I wasn't clear on...I use an outboard Technics head and an equalizer that uses a filter that is adjustible and that goes to soundcard as stereo out and line out..so if I get the better one..at $200+..I could do away with the outboard stuff I now have, and just plug in the real high class surround, get it on the used mkt easy......or am I getting too deep here..???

John (ellll)
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John!

I've had the Audiophile for years, and it had always served me very well!
Then I bought a MOTU Traveler, and it was paradise Wink
BTW, the Audiophile is very very easy to mount (it's a common PCI card) and to install (when asked, insert the disk and follow the procedure), and has got quite good drivers, so for an entry level you won't regret it, for your needs it's better for sure than the Creative Smile

HTH,
regards

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: