Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best synth for orchestra stuff?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: best synth for orchestra stuff? Reply with quote

I post here 3 samples of orchestra "crescendo" created with k2661, triton (without orchestra expansion) and motif es rack. Notice that the sounds are all presets of the 3 synth and that every file has 15 tracks on it, based on different playing section. I've add the same reverb to all so we can say that there is no tweak for each one.

K2661: http://www.dedicatedtotriton.net/music/crescendo.mp3
Triton: http://www.dedicatedtotriton.net/music/crescendo2.mp3
ES: http://www.dedicatedtotriton.net/music/crescendo3.mp3

regards, Lorenzo
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to add that this test doesn't prove anything except that all three machine are capable of great orchestral emulation...
regards, Lorenzo
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo wrote:
I want to add that this test doesn't prove anything except that all three machine are capable of great orchestral emulation...
regards, Lorenzo

I agree but due to my unique position now, I am with almost my whole family and alot friends right now. I got to play all three of these and ask which one they liked best and to rank them. Its worth noting none of these people are musicians.

Cresendo 1 - 13 votes

Cresendo 2- 4 votes

Cresendo 3 - 22 votes
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awwww the triton didnt fare very well in that -

I have to say - playing the same MIDI sequence in 3 different machines isnt an easy task to achieve the same results with. When i bought my Triton Extreme, I was converting dozens of 01/Wfd sequences to Triton format, I am still working on it! Velocity curves are different, multisamples from both units react so differently to the playing.

The triton is by far a superior synthesizer to the 01/W, but i've had to totally re-sequence a lot of my files to make them sound as good on the Triton as they did on the 01/W. My point is, how can you compare? It's hard to interchange sequences between synths.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

infact it's not the same midi sequence... and I use different instruments too, I simply try to do all the best with each one (ie in the tirton I add an oboe solo sound that there isn't in the other two cos I think that triton oboe is good)
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very subjective, but a cool post. I love being able to hear them side by side.

I believe that a Triton Extreme would have fared better than a Triton Classic. They are all very capable machines. I love my Motif electric pianos and electric guitars but I am not as big on their string sound. The KORG Oboe is nice.

Nice post, Lorenzo !
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to hear a M3, an Oasys and an XS... maybe a roland fantom and a triton extreme (or exb 06/07 exb) too
if anyone would spend 5 minutes to experiment with their own gear (maybe the same too but with different "orchstral pattern")... could be interesting in hearing differences..
regards, Lorenzo
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 Cents.....

It's not really possible to tell much from the short clips as there are no actual instruments being singled out in a manner that could give you any clue as to the true quality of the instruments being used.

So to be fair to all 3, I don't think this would really prove anything.

You would really need to hear individual sounds preforming in a demo or solo to give people a good idea of what each workstation sounds like.

For example, this is my EWQLSO sample library, and you can get a clear idea from this exactly how it sounds.

http://www.korgforums.com/misc/EWQLSO.mp3

Regards.
Sharp.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James, I didn't tried to prove something with this test, but I notice that there are plenty of demo out there that aren't what people looking for. This is why
1 I didn't use a midi file cos every workstation would have played it in a different way due to dynamics etc etc...
2 I didn't play a single instruments per time cos I think that what is worth is the overwhole sound
3 I play a crescendo to try to prove the dynamics of each three (and this is quite an objective test at least for the instruments used)

then... I'm not a composer so I can't create such a track eheheh! at least not in 1 hour and if do it I surely won't use it for a demo purpouse!

regards, Lorenzo
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lorenzo

There's nothing wrong with what you played, it's just not the right type of sound bite in my opinion to actually say that the 3 keyboards are capable of emulating an orchestra.

I'm probably not explaining myself right here ?.

Tell you what, leave it with me for a moment and I'll be back with a few notes on the OASYS. Nothing sequenced, just something simple to show you what I mean.

Catch ya later,
Sharp.

PS: What you started on that demo is also the start to a great tune. You should keep going on it.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

PS: What you started on that demo is also the start to a great tune. You should keep going on it.

ahahah please no! I just played random notes! anyway yes I understood what you mean... I'll try to find the time to write down a few orchestral lines and see if I can remember them to play with all the three keyboards... , but I'll need more than 1 hour to do all this eheheh!
anyway I think that even with a messy setup like this you can understand if the quality is good or not, maybe you can't say what instrument is better than the other, but you can percept (hope the word exist) the dynamic of each... ie from the files above I saw that instruments on the Motif are more "in your face" than instruments on K2661 that seem to be ready for the recording (panning volume etc)...
anyway I'll develop this topic as soon as possible with many samples maybe even single instrument... this is due to the fact that many people like me would like to here many sounds of a synth and many time they don't have a music store near them to try out the instrument... so I'll try to create some quality samples of each. Maybe someone else will jump in and put some demos of different synths...
regards, Lorenzo
XVampireX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharp, may I ask what is playing in this demo of EWQLSO? Sounds like some film music (I'm trying to guess harry potter or something like it).

And it sounds ultra realistic!
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XVampireX wrote:
Hi Sharp, may I ask what is playing in this demo of EWQLSO? Sounds like some film music (I'm trying to guess harry potter or something like it).

And it sounds ultra realistic!

Their orchestra stuff is amazing. I've used their stuff exclusively on the stuff I've done in terms of the sounds. Remember with the orchestra stuff you have to know how to manipulate the sound and mix it properly to get the killer sounding orchestra stuff but that being said the sounds are absolutely brilliant and top notch.
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Tell you what, leave it with me for a moment and I'll be back with a few notes on the OASYS. Nothing sequenced, just something simple to show you what I mean.

Waitin - still waitin Reading The Manual

Smile

Ant

JOHN 3:16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: