Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sample questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cali4john

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: sample questions Reply with quote

I have loaded some new sounds using ESX Wave organizer v 0.1.8. What are the "Strcstep" and "is slice" attributes? How do i calculate Strcstep, is there a function like normalize in my ESX? Is this why my new samples can't be used in some parts?

I also deleted a bunch of the voice samples I hated to get more space. Having a ton of fun with this machine!

TIA!
cali4john

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH HA! page 31 of my manual.

Anyone have tips on determining how many steps to "stretch" a sample too? Is there a time to steps formula/rule of thumb?
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well depends on the sample..... if it's a rhythmic sample like a riff or a drum loop it's relatively simple.... what you want to do is listen to it and see how many times it loops... for breakbeats(breaks drum n bass so fourth) it's easy because usually two main snares are used so you can hear .... kick - snare - kick - kick - snare..... anyways a single loop on the esx is 16 steps(oh be damn) so if it goes in a loop twice it's 32.. so on so fourth....

if it's a single shot sample of weirdness it should most likelly be used as a one shot sample.... if you really want to stretch it, you can but keep it as close to it's original pitch/duration as possible so it doesn't get distorted.... one issue with this is like me many people use in different tempo ranges.... in that case go for the middle somewhere.
cali4john

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: thank you sir Reply with quote

Thank you R u s o Wink

I am interested in making psy trance at 130 - 140 BPM, reggae dub and some ambient. i have such a long way to go, I am not even step programming yet! But seeing the patterns in wave manager helps me get a handle on it.

Could you share your sound forge sample batch configuration? I bought a old version and installed it and it is very helpful but there are soooo many options -- even just for converting down to mono!

I hope you have a great 2008 and receive all of life's blessing!
anselmi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
if it's a single shot sample of weirdness it should most likelly be used as a one shot sample.... if you really want to stretch it, you can but keep it as close to it's original pitch/duration as possible so it doesn't get distorted....

ok, that´s the "right" thing to do...

but you can do the opposite too, using one shot samples in stretching mode and making them far from its original lenght so you forces to strecth and get some potential interesting distortion artifacts

try load a single cycle wave and then stretch it to a bar...then play with the pitch control...if you get some interesting artifacts at low levels try heavy compression on it to rise them from polite to in-your-face Twisted Evil

then use the LFO in sync to give it some rythmic changes in pitch, cutoff or volume...

if you like it you could resample the whole loop and use it in other ways...
cali4john

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be good at distorting samples that sound bad stretched out, lol.

I got some great virus samples at the yahoo group. Also 8 bit stuff I was looking for.
anselmi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cali4john wrote:
I seem to be good at distorting samples that sound bad stretched out, lol.

I got some great virus samples at the yahoo group. Also 8 bit stuff I was looking for.

8 bit?..ha!

just put whatever thru the decimator FX on the ESX and resample the output
you can have any combination of bit/sample rate you want plus 2 further fx
cali4john

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just put whatever thru the decimator FX

yeah, just because the display says 8 bit doesn't make it sound like the 8 bit devices we like. It is an interesting effect, but you are not going to 100% duplicate a game boy with it.

Does anyone have a link to making 'single cell' samples? like the wave form samples?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: