Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Configuration Utility on EMX and ESX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xanzion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Configuration Utility on EMX and ESX Reply with quote

Before your turn your emx on next time, press Erase+Part Edit.. Its like a menu or something pops up with the following options: NAND, Valve, MIDI, and # Audio, If you press Up past # Audio, it quits you out and boots as normal.. Under the first three menu options it says [16].

And yes, I already about the Shift+ combo's, this one is wayyyy different.

Oh and if you don't know where erase is, it's the restart button, looks like this: |< (Next to the record button on the left.)

If this has been found before, lemme know. Also, let me know what this stuff is all about.

peace

Update: Button 16 seems to advance to Some audio check when I press it on the # Audio menu option. If I press 16 again, it quits and boots.

Update 2: I was searching forums, and it appears that Ruso was looking for the erase button, Original post from Ruso below:

Quote:
those two knobs are not for tuning compression, it's for tuning the tubes... they're designed to be used with a loopback cable and having the emx/esx in a special mode where it will test itself....

one sec... lemme pull up the service manual Wink

ok here's what it's for, it's for callibrating the valves of the tubes.... the way it's used is you connect a stereo 1/4 inch from the headphones jack to the line input, set it to line..... then you have to boot the electribe with erase+part edit with a special smart media card inserted into the electribe which is provided by korg to service people(hehe which I am not Sad)

then you choose a tube callibration utility which will tell you two values on the screen for the values of tubes... you can then adjust them with the knob.... (WHERE THE f*ck IS THE ERASE BUTTON!?!?!?)

if the numbers are still off. then you're tubes are not callibrated and need to be adjusted.... you do this with the knobs.... which are by the way inverted..... the left tube is for the right channel and the right tube is for the left channel (looking through the glass window.

I think I found it for ya buddy, now that my part is done, Ruso, please aid me on my quest to find out what these things do! And I remember you stating you reside in the US, are you anywhere near Utah? If you dont wanna tell me in public, pm meh! Or not, your choice. Dang my ADHD attention span is going through the freakin roof!

Update 3: Erase+Step Edit seems to tune the valves... Not too sure. It starts a countdown and runs various checks. Erase+ anything on that row of buttons seems to do something special. Ill keep you guys posted on anything further, itd be nice if a guru would help me out Wink

Last edited by xanzion on Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:12 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's useless, I at some point even had the software developing kit with the compiler for electribes main microcontroller. It is definetly possible to solder wires and flash it with new firmware that you make but think about it...

there are several controllers interconnected which u'd have to interface between each otherl... you'd have to reverse all the functions, you'd have to recode basically everything from NOTHING without any knowledge.....

*technically* you can put linux onto the electribes but think about it, it would take so much work you might aswell just make your own box.
xanzion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, But I still want to know what this stuff does... Does anyone have a service manual?

peace
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xanzion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Erase+Pattern = total machine control. Button 16 acts as enter for some instances, I just did a test on everything, one of them has a cool lightshow Smile

If it says SMProtect, just press down, that utility is for testing the integrity of your SM card Wink

Also found out almost all my pots are bad with the centering utility, I only have two good, Drive and Cutoff... Sad

Conclusion: Erase+Pattern is definitely Configuration, I figured most of it out, I will be posting a You-Tube on how to use the check utility, maybe you have bad pots too!

peace
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually I do happen to have the service manual Wink for the emx
xanzion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have msn? googletalk? yahoo?

peace
The Puppeteer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WRT tuning the tubes, does anyone have a copy of the special SM Card so that the tubes can be tuned. My EMX-1's tubes sound shocking after turning it up about 20%. Too much nasty distortion. My friends EMX-1 sounds nice and sweet up to about 75% and then distorts nicely. I want my EMX to sound like his.

The tubes in them both are the same (except his has got red printing on it, and mine has yellow), and I'm thinking that tuning the tubes might help me out, but I'd need the utility to do it.

I'm going to order some new tubes as well, and will need to retune it in the future, and I don't want to have to rely on techs in 5 years time who don't have the SM Card in order to replace tubes.
guyus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn man Shocked
tried it out,... that was scary
how did you find out anyway? just tried al combinations? Wink
xanzion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as far as I know from an official, you don't need a special SM card to tune them, I took it to a service guy, he pulled this tool out that tunes the tubes, he didn't show me how it works, but he did tell me those pots in the tube enclosure do stuff to the tubes, he was kind of shady on that respect... So your SM card dream is a no go. And yes, I did try all the combinations, because I'm a go getta Wink

peace
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well first of all there IS a special card they use to run special features, it says so in the service manual....

second of all... khehe u don't have to try all combinations, like all of them are already on the message board here Wink
xanzion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:

second of all... khehe u don't have to try all combinations, like all of them are already on the message board here Wink

The Shift+ whatever combinations yes, the things I have just described, no. I have been through this forums ass and out the mouth, there is no info on the configuration utility.

If you can prove it to me, you would have already when I asked about it in my first post... If you actually read it all Laughing

peace
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: