Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DX-7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: DX-7 Reply with quote

I see used Yamaha DX-7 here and there. Would it be a waist of money to buy one considering I own a Triton Extreme?

Or is there some hidden gems in the DX-7 the TE cannot touch in terms of sounds?

Thanks
Regards,
Dniss
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, my opinion on this is...don't waste your money.
The DX 7 is a very good synth, but it's a freaking nightmare to program.

You would be far better of buying NI FM8, which at least is easy to program and sounds better than a DX 7. It can also sound exactly like a DX 7 if you wish.

Regards.
Sharp.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have MOSS in your Extreme, you can create some convincing FM-type sounds.

Sounds Good
KingJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: DX-7 Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
I see used Yamaha DX-7 here and there. Would it be a waist of money to buy one considering I own a Triton Extreme?

Or is there some hidden gems in the DX-7 the TE cannot touch in terms of sounds?

Thanks
Regards,
Dniss

Go for it! I saw one on EBay a couple of weeks ago for just $175! They're dirt cheap, because so many of them were made. I didn't think it was that hard for me to program, but I didn't take full advantage of all it's programming options. It's not anything like programming a VA, or a sample based synth like the Triton. The DX7 is cool though, because you could program some really wacky FM sounds into it if you played around with it long enough. I even got a Super Tramp Wurlitzer sound out of it from editing a preset called Rubber Rhodes. The DX7 is also very light, and if I remember right, it's about the same weight as the Korg TR-61. I think you'll have a lot of fun with the DX7, and it can do some FM stuff that your Triton Extreme can't even dream of doing. When you first start messing around with it, it may not seem like very much of a synth at all, but once you start programming it, I think you'll have a lot of fun.
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from what I've read, the DX-7 is STILL Brian Eno's favorite synth. Can't get a much better endorsement than that.

I remember back in the 80's, every month I'd get a copy of Keyboard Magazine, and just drool over the pictures of the DX-7. I swear, half the articles were about it. Seemed like everyone had one except me. I wanted one so bad I could practically taste it.

Instead, I made do with my Juno-6 (now, alas, long gone).

Would I buy a DX-7 now? Probably not, even if I found one for $10 at a yard sale. Hardware synths no longer hold a fascination for me (they take up too much room, for one thing), and I'm firmly ensconced in the world of software. But if you do get one, you'll certainly be picking up a piece of synth history.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Honestly, my opinion on this is...don't waste your money.
The DX 7 is a very good synth, but it's a freaking nightmare to program.

You would be far better of buying NI FM8, which at least is easy to program and sounds better than a DX 7. It can also sound exactly like a DX 7 if you wish.

Regards.
Sharp.

Thanks Sharp. Your input are always highly appreciated.

It's funny you mentionning this since I'm slowly getting into soft synth. That is one of my goal, after looking up the VL projet, of course.
Smile

Regards,
Dniss
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
If you have MOSS in your Extreme, you can create some convincing FM-type sounds.

Sounds Good

Yes I do but learning how to create sounds is out of my reach really. I already have my hands full on trying other people stuff anyway.

Regards,
Dniss
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: DX-7 Reply with quote

KingJ wrote:
Dniss wrote:

Thanks
Regards,
Dniss

It's not anything like programming a VA, or a sample based synth like the Triton.

ok, geeze I hope it's not tougher...I'm totally overwhelmed but what I see the TE do. I haven't been into synth since the 80's so you can imagine..

Last edited by Dniss on Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiotNrrd wrote:
I remember back in the 80's, every month I'd get a copy of Keyboard Magazine, and just drool over the pictures of the DX-7. I swear, half the articles were about it. Seemed like everyone had one except me. I wanted one so bad I could practically taste it.

ahaha I know exactly what you mean. I remember as vividly as if it was yesterday the first time I laid my eyes on the DX-7. At the time, it was fairly new technology. I don't know why synths excise such a fascination on me. I'm sure you guys know what I mean.

I even had a Jupiter 8 for a month (leased) back then. No need to tell you I had no idea at the time I much I'd love to own one 25 years later...

Thanks for your input,
Dniss
KingJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
haha I know exactly what you mean. I remember as vividly as if it was yesterday the first time I laid my eyes on the DX-7. At the time, it was fairly new technology. I don't know why synths excise such a fascination on me. I'm sure you guys know what I mean.

I even had a Jupiter 8 for a month (leased) back then. No need to tell you I had no idea at the time I much I'd love to own one 25 years later...

Thanks for your input,
Dniss

I never dreamed that years after I played and programmed a DX7, that I would be so fascinated with FM. If I had the money, I would buy a used Synclavier, which was the first FM synth ever made. Wow! That was a killer synth, and I want one so bad, I can taste it! The Synclavier puts the DX7 to shame! There is no other synth I know of that combines addative and FM synthesis like the Synclavier could. I don't know why nobody has made a virtual Synclavier yet! The DX7 is the next best thing to the Synclavier, but it can't even come close to that fat, full sound! It's like comparing the sound of the Triton Classic to the sound of the Oasys! There's just no comparison! In fact, the Synclavier still puts most modern synths to shame!
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I never dreamed that years after I played and programmed a DX7, that I would be so fascinated with FM. If I had the money, I would buy a used Synclavier, which was the first FM synth ever made. Wow! That was a killer synth, and I want one so bad, I can taste it!

Love to have a Synclavier myself, but from what I've read, it's a money pit. Parts are scarce and expensive. One of the reasons NED went out of business is that they "scalped" their clients.

Have you actually played a Synclavier btw?

I spoke to a collector of vintage synths and he told me (much to my disappointment) that the Synclavier didn't sound like much without mega outboard effects.
Old Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: More DX& Reply with quote

I just thought I would throw in my "two cents" worth re the DX7. I bought a DX7s in 1987; played around with the presets; tried to program it and it was a "nightmare". I put in the closet and only recently brought it back to life. I was browsing the web and found a website from the U.K. called FM Alive. I can't recall the man's name but he is some kind of a "guru" and after corresponding with him, he seemed like one hell of a nice guy as well. Anyway, he has a little program that costs $15 or 20$ U.S that you download and if I'm reading the program correctly you do your tweaking etc right on your computer via a Midi cable from the Computer to your DX7. It's still too much for my brain but I wanted the program because along with it comes 10,000 patches that you midi into the DX7. There are some great patches, B3's, Rhodes, etc. I'm then sending them to the EX and using the effects from the EX. Some great sounds!

For anyone interested in working in FM Synthesis, this program has to be one of the best.

His website is www.fm-alive.com

Old Guy
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Old Guy!

I just got my hand on a dx7iid in absolute mint condition. Not a single scratch on it. I paid just a few hundreds bucks for it. Since now I'm hauting for sounds, I will look it up (fm-alive).

If I may ask, how are you sending them to your EX?

Best regards,
Dniss
Old Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: DX7 Reply with quote

I'm using the output of the DX7 to one of the inputs of EX. Then go to the Sampling screen in the Combi and turn on L/R or whatever effect you might want to sent the sounds to. Works like a damn! The signal is Mono but with the Effects of EX it warms or brightens it up.

This guy's patches are really something. There is just about everything you can think of: Mini Moog, Prophet and I'm sure just about every synth that was made, along with a multitude of organ, ep, brass etc.

Anyway, check it out. If your into programming your dx7 this is definitely the software to use.

Old Guy
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, thanks for the info.

I'd be lying if I was saying I'm into programming of the DX7. It's too difficult. I will be buying sounds instead.

Regards,
Dniss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: