Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top 20 Synths

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Top 20 Synths Reply with quote

6 Video Episodes of "20 greatest synths of all time" : http://www.sonicstate.com/top20/

Also, When I was watching the last episode where KORG M1 is at Number 5, the acoustic guitar sounds almost exact as "12-String Guitar " in my Roland VA76... strange...
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=4651
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link! That's a great series. Very Happy
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah This series is GREAT!! I must have watched them all about 6 times now!! Cool That Putney section is so dark! Its perfect!
DimensionFour

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like when they say that Virus C comes with 256 patches...
Laughing Laughing Laughing

That made my day seeing how much research they have put into something like this.

f*ck*ng amateurs.
KingJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Top 20 Synths Reply with quote

Sonic State had to be crazy when they put this thing together. No Fairlight! No Synclavier! MiniMoog number 1? No way! Here's my own top 5.

1. NED Synclavier. The only modern product that even comes close to it is the Korg Oasys. The best Synclavier systems had 16 tracks of direct to disk HD recording, 16 tracks of MIDI sequencing, built-in effects, FM addative synthesis, sampling, a distinct sound unique to the Synclavier, and much more.
2. Fairlight CMI. What were these idiots at Sonic State thinking not putting the first sampling synthesizer in the twenty greatest synths ever? You could synthesize your own waveshape from literally scratch with a light pen, or the QWERTY keyboard! No modern synth can do this folks!
3. Prophet 5. The Prophet 5, even though it only had 5 notes of polyphony, was still the best analog synth ever made in my oppinion. It had some very unique sounds, and it was used by many artists from the late seventies to the mid eighties.
4. Yamaha DX7. It was probably the best selling non sampling synth ever made, and it had very distinct sounds.
5. Korg M1. The first modern workstation, and the biggest selling workstation ever. The Korg M1 being number 5 is about the only thing I agree with Sonic State on.

Also, what happened to the ARP 2600, and the Moog Modular? Why wasn't the PolyMoog in there? The CS80 should have been in the top 10! Arp Odasy number 2? Absolutely not! Maybe number 15 on my list. The ARP String Synthesizer should have been in the top 10, not number 20! The only two newer synths that should have even been in there, and were not, were the Yamaha EX5, and the Korg Oasys. What a bunch of idiots!
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely loves this video series except for the fact that a Kurzweil was not in the top 10!! Come ON???!! Mad Wink
MY Weapons of choice: K2600X, Oasys88, PC3X, K2661, V-Synth, MotifESR, ZR-76, TS-12, VFX, EPS16+,ESQ-1, ESQ-1R, Emu Xtreme Lead, SCI Six Trak, HR-16, Kurzweil Mark 150 Baby Grand and 2 D1600's synced!!!
http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=kerzwhile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: