Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice about a Radias

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Totty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Advice about a Radias Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm Mike, hope everyone is well.

I'm currently running mainly a Virus TI and an old G4 1.5 Powerbook. I'm in a bit of a quandry..!!

I have for a change 2 grand to spend on some gear. With that I need to get a new computer because my old Laptop is feeling the strain bigtime. Whilst I have some soft synths, a JP8080 and a few older synths, I was wondering whether I should plumb all that money and get a Mac Pro.

Alternatively the Radias sounds like a real sonic playground, so I could get the Rack and get a new Macbook Pro (just about...). The Virus is great but I find it very dark sounding and I'd like something that really cuts through.

I guess I'm confused, Do you guys think a Radias would be better than a Mac with NI Massive or something?

Many thanks

Mike
SynthAntonius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Virus TI user, but it seems that there are lot of people who use both of them, and find them both very good, but in different ways.

I have Radias, and I can say that it's an awesome synth. But I never use soft synths - hardware all the way!

Radias is a good investement, especially for a live performer.
Totty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate,

Just out of interest, do use hardware because you perform, or is it becuase of sound quality?

Logic Pro 8
Virus TI, JP8080, JD990, XV5080, Korg X5, SH-32, D110, Nova, Oasys PCI
lcmorley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Virus TI until about two months ago when I had to sell it to fund a house move. I really wish I didn't because I really loved that machine. Sad

I now have the M3, with the Radias expansion installed. I would say that the Virus still beats the Radias in some areas including the Hypersaw etc. However, the Radias still seems to be able to hold it's own.

I would not recommend getting rid of your Virus, because like me, you would probably regret it. So if you have both in your arsnel, you should not go too far wrong.

As regards the soft synths, like many others here, I only tend to use hardware anyway, so cannot really comment on that side.

Please checkout my music at www.soundcloud.com/lcmorley

My Gear History (from 11 years old until now):
Yamaha PSR-31, Technics KN1000, Technics KN5000, Technics KN7000, Korg PA-80, Korg Triton Classic, Microkorg, Korg Triton Studio, Alesis Ion, Korg Legacy Collection, Korg Triton Extreme, Roland Juno D, Access Virus TI 2, Korg M3, Korg Oasys, Roland TR-8, Korg Kronos 2 88 Platinum.
Totty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate, yes I don't think I'd get rid of the Virus as it is an amazing machine. Is everyone here mainly Hardware based for a reason ie: live performing..

Hmmmm descisions!! I just like the sound of the Radias from the demos I've heard, but I did try an R3 the other day, but I'm put off by lack of step sequencers and curves on envs.

Many thanks for the input

Logic Pro 8
SynthAntonius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much experience with softsynths, but to me it seems highly improbable that a computer can beat a dedicated synthesizer.
Yes, I use hardware because I'm more live based musician. However, Softsynths/plugins are more flexible for studio use (computer based studios).

I've worked with computers for many years, and I can say - they are not reliable! (well, I can't say anything about Mac)

Besides - using hardware is much more stylish than a midi-controller with a laptop Cool
Totty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SynthAntonius,

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. I am more of a studio guy, but I hear what you are saying. It's funny softsynths promise so much, but you're right, not many deliver. There are a few however, but I have been trying to use more of a soft approach for sometime now, but I am always suffering from lack of cpu. Macs in my experience can be very stable and much more immediate for creativity, but like anything they still suffer from issues.

I very much like being able to sit down to a synth with physical controls and create. Many times my mac can be distractive, but this is probably lack of discipline!! It's funny though when I had my old Pentium and just a Korg X5, my songs seemed to be so much more personal; I think computer based power requires you to be very controlled in how you work but at the same time exploit the strengths.

Kind regards

Logic Pro 8
slammah2012

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totty wrote:
SynthAntonius,

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. I am more of a studio guy, but I hear what you are saying. It's funny softsynths promise so much, but you're right, not many deliver. There are a few however, but I have been trying to use more of a soft approach for sometime now, but I am always suffering from lack of cpu. Macs in my experience can be very stable and much more immediate for creativity, but like anything they still suffer from issues.

I very much like being able to sit down to a synth with physical controls and create. Many times my mac can be distractive, but this is probably lack of discipline!! It's funny though when I had my old Pentium and just a Korg X5, my songs seemed to be so much more personal; I think computer based power requires you to be very controlled in how you work but at the same time exploit the strengths.

Kind regards

If you want softsynths in a hardware form, you could go with the "Muse" Receptor

http://www.museresearch.com/receptor.php
Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: