Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now i'm stuck into choosing between the EMX-1 and ESX-1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdmmade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Now i'm stuck into choosing between the EMX-1 and ESX-1 Reply with quote

Now i'm stuck into choosing between the EMX-1 and ESX-1, I have the EMX and now that i have been told that it is PCM based and I can't add more sounds to it kind of bums me out. I wanted a drum machine and I got it. It sounds amazing but I also wanted to add my own sounds. Will the ESX do the same drum patterns plus adding my own sounds? I need many opinions, so far this has the best forum i have encountered for Korg products and family.
anselmi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Now i'm stuck into choosing between the EMX-1 and ESX-1 Reply with quote

jdmmade wrote:
Now i'm stuck into choosing between the EMX-1 and ESX-1, I have the EMX and now that i have been told that it is PCM based and I can't add more sounds to it kind of bums me out.

wait a minute...EMX ISNīT PCM based
ONE of the oscillator modes is PCM based, but the rest of them (the majority) isnīt

the thing is an all DSP machine with models to a vast collection of oscillator technoques, from plain analog-like cycles to FM, to additive, to noise filtering and more

yes, you canīt load your own samples because it ISNīT a sampler...the ESX is

but the EMX is a really creative synthesizer, even with the big limitations it semms to have, like non standard ADSR EG or a single LFO/filter

Quote:
Will the ESX do the same drum patterns plus adding my own sounds?

yes...itīs a sampler...you could sample external audio (even your drum machine) or load whatever .wav or .aif you want

they are both excellente machines...i got both along some more expernsive and complex gear like nord modular and elektron machines, but the electribes got their place with their own sound and capabiolities
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emx's drums ARE PCM..... PCM = prerecorded sounds which get modulated one way or another..... kinda like the synth parts, PCM+WS = prerecorded synth loop which is modulated by a waveshaper..... abd PCM+combination = PCM modulated by a combo oscillator....

pcm pretty much means synthesis based of prerecorded sound which you basically can't change....

a very good example of pcm synthesis is cakewalk's rapture virtual synth.... and yes indeed the drums are pcm....

sorry that was a very redundant statement...

anyways sell you my esx+emx with extras for 750usd.. Wink or the esx for 400 if cyberdude doesn't want it Wink
anselmi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
emx's drums ARE PCM..... PCM = prerecorded sounds which get modulated one way or another..... kinda like the synth parts, PCM+WS = prerecorded synth loop which is modulated by a waveshaper..... abd PCM+combination = PCM modulated by a combo oscillator....

sorry ruso but "PCM" doesnīt means that the sample have to be modulated after the sample-playback stage with further methods like WS or COMB

PCM = Pulse Code Modulation, the standard encode/decode method for digital audio...even old casiotones from the 80s use it

and COMB is not "combination", itīs COMB FILTERING, a technique that use delays for phase cancellation and boosting of overtones whos frequency response looks like a "comb"
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I was saying is that the drums and the pcm synthesis use samples that can not be changed...

no matter what you call pcm it's still a single cycle of a waveform that's repeated to create a sound.... even kiddie toys use this technique. True it doesn't have to be modulated after...

thanks for correcting on combination, I actually didn't know what the f*ck it was and now I do Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: