Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EMX Block Diagram

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_courville

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: EMX Block Diagram Reply with quote

For educational purposes only...

reddone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Paul , your pic just reminded of something .

Have u tried Reaktor ? Its great for building your own synths ( i hav made an EA-1 so far ) and the best thing is that they are controlable via Mx .
Reaktor has to be my favourite piece of software , check it out mate .
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea also synthmaker and max msp, paul u'd like to mess with those Wink
reddone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Software EMX2 ?? Reply with quote

We should take a bit of a look at this diagram an see if some sort of emx2 soft synth can be made ... with an actual EMX at hand it would be awesome controlling the thing .
My ea1 was complete in a day but i reckon an MX2 would take just a Bit longer though lol , definately . Nothing to lose tho . And we have tubes to feed it through !!!

Who knows where it might lead ....
reddone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Actually ..... Reply with quote

There is only so much here that is relevant in making a soft synth , so just look carefully .
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol dude it's all electric components, I actually looked up the cpu, and found all the tools to write code for it.... but here's the problem

you gotta think about this: the emx has many parts, all independant from each other, all controlled by little computer and all of those are connected to one bigger one which controlls everything... now the main one can be programmed, and with little work in soldering can be interfaced from a computer and you can flash new code on to it... but here's the problem.. you have to REWRITE the code for the electribe's OS to interface with EVERY other little computer onboard in code that is HIDDEN... this is such a tremendously large task that it would make MORE sence to build an electribe from scratch... in which case I would build a midi controller which would controll software on a lop top instead....

but seriously people have to realise that schematics aren't gonna help you understand what every part is... you have to take into consideration EVERYTHING, even how many steps each rotary encoder has, which is such a tiny piece to the whole puzzle.... how does the led matrix work(theres a diagram for that too but..) what message do I send to the I/O pannel to send a message to the led circuit to toggle a certain LIGHT on...

this is an unrealistic task... to say the least....
reddone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: LOl , Ruso .... interesting tho Reply with quote

The thing is that what you have researched ( or just know ) seems to be relevant in building a more TRUE representation of an EMX2 Than i personally would push for . When using the block diagram or the one on the users manual there are particular chainings of the Mx design that should be paid attention to when using reaktor .

All i needed to know for an EA-1 was what order things went thru each other NOT the cpu or any other such tech knowledge . After Chaining the parts i needed i simply messed with the midi data i assigned to each knob/button etc , until i had a machine that functioned Very close to my EA-1. Although it didnt have the "warpiness" an EA-1 has . Still close tho .

We dont need to be geniuses to get a basic model going , we're not actually designing the thing FOR korg are we ....

All things aside Ruso , i appreciate some of the info you share here . Are u a Programmer by any chance , or something like that ?
paul_courville

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddone3 wrote:
Yo Paul , your pic just reminded of something .

Have u tried Reaktor ? Its great for building your own synths ( i hav made an EA-1 so far ) and the best thing is that they are controlable via Mx .
Reaktor has to be my favourite piece of software , check it out mate .

FYI...

Reaktor is a graphical modular software music studio, proprietary license, developed by Native Instruments.

It lets musicians and engineers design and build their own instruments, samplers, effects and sound design tools.

It is supplied with many ready-to-use instruments and effects, from emulations of classic synthesizers to futuristic sound design tools.

In addition, more than 2000 free instruments can be downloaded from the growing User Library.

One of Reaktor's unique selling points is that all of its instruments can be freely examined, customised or taken apart; Reaktor is a tool that effectively encourages reverse engineering.

Reaktor Session is a now-discontinued, limited version of the software that allowed musicians to play Reaktor files but not edit or reverse-engineer them.

Last edited by paul_courville on Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
reddone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Whattt ?? Reply with quote

Are you telling me that reaktor is no more ??? Surely not !!

I use reaktor 4 and have full functionality . Why would native stop making a fully editable Reaktor . I'm puzzled .
paul_courville

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Synth Design by Reactor Reply with quote

Trailer here...
http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?id=reaktor5trailer&L=0

Website here...
http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?reaktor_us&id=reaktor&L=0&rdrctd&flash=9
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a programmer and I also have extensive microcontroller experience (microchip programming and hardware development)..... well maybe not extensive but I am working on my own midi controller from scratch.

Hey cyberdude be jellous, I'm about to go to a boeing swap meet Wink khehee they'll have so much weird gear there that can be messed arround with Very Happy
paul_courville

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
boeing swap meet

?
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have stuff from boeing like huge milling machines(that are like up to the ceiling in the hangar) old tables computers, projectors, so on, you'd like it paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: