Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EMX-1 MIDI stylee in Ableton Live 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonScorp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: EMX-1 MIDI stylee in Ableton Live 6 Reply with quote

Hello. I am using an Electribe MX and trying to get it to record MIDI stylee in Live 6. I have the Electribe synched to Live (Live controlling the Electribe) and I have followed the instructions for "Using the EMX-1 as a sound Module" in the manual. I cannot figure out how to get the track in Live to understand the channel I'm selecting in the Electribe. Does anyone know how to do this? I called Korg product support and they don't know how their products work with sequencers!! I can't believe they are marketing DJ equipment and don't train their tech support guys to know how their DJ products work with one of the most widely used sequencers by DJs, Ableton Live!!! If anyone out there could help me I'd really appreciate it!!
paul_courville

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso,
This is a good question that would help a lot of us using our EMX's with Ableton Live.
What do ya think?
Paul
musikmachine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the emx as a sound module in live.On the midi track select as your input the midi device that the emx is connected to.For the drums select midi channel 10 and arm the track.If your recording parts from the emx set your midi out channel to 6 otherwise he note won't play properly.If not set it to 10 and you should be able to record drum parts into live.Check the midi input indicators ad the yellow bar in your track for midi input activity.The synth parts should be midi channels 1-5 so do the same thing for 10 but check your midi channels on the emx are 1-5 otherwise you won't get a signal!You also need to enable to midi inputs/outputs in lives preferences.Enable Track, Sync and Remote and you should be good to go Smile

Hope this helps
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmhm channels 1-5 a synth parts, channel 10 is drums.... he just told you how to do it but there is a catch...

one main problem with using ableton as the sequencer for the electribes is the sound card delay, so you have to run your sound card in asio mode with under 10 ms of delay in the asio settings....

downfalls.... you'll have to quantize everything to 16th notes in ableton cause timing will not be perfect.....

changing between patterns from ableton is not easy.... at least not without midiox....

upfalls!!! you can use a combination of vst's alongside the emx.... YOU CAN DUMP THE STUPID f*ck*ng DRUM SOUNDS ON THE ELECTRIBE by using impulse....

you can use ableton's automation to draw out the envelopes for every parameter of the electribe except stuff like accent part info and the synth oscillator selection....

with some extra work you could have the electribe play for example three synth parts and you could use say part 4 and 5 to controll ableton via midi.... or even just one part to control ableton cause that would give you 127 buttons(keyboard)+ 9 selection type controllers + 13 rotary knobs to control ableton....

why would u do that if your electribe is the sound module? simple... how about making use of ableton's arpregiator? or other ableton midi effects.... use it to trigger clips so one pattern could have variations...

you could also layer instruments so if the electribe sounds a little bit dull and empty you could add a second sound on top of it from within ableton...

there are a lot of creative things you can do....

if you don't understand what we're saying I'll put together a set....

speaking of which, paul you still have yet to respond to the tutorial I sent you!!!
paul_courville

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my bad.

Remember I commute 2 hours a day from Tijuana to San Diego to work 2 jobs.

I leave early and get home late.

I'll make an effort to work thru the tutorials this weekend.

I don't want your effort to go to waste.
Setsonics

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tutorials?

Surprised
paul_courville

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setsonics wrote:
Tutorials?

Surprised

Yeah, Ruso made up some cool s**t.
I just haven't had the time...
Let me see if I can post the link here.
Setsonics

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have just been making 4-8 length patterns with the presets, and I used my Microkorg Vocoder and sampled it with disastrous results.

Rolling Eyes
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol sell your micro korg... it was the first synth I ever got so it seemed cool, but it's terrible... Sad
Setsonics

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not getting too carried away just yet. I am going to learn the hardware I have right now and perhaps move on to more advanced stuff later on.

>O_o

On a side note I did some really cool stuff tonight with my Microkorg so I guess it's ok for me. It packs quite a punch and it's a great deal. ;D

--------------

Why is the Microkorg a terrible Synth?

What would you say is a good Synth for a beginner.

Something with a good sequencer no doubt?

Question
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course it's a great deal, it's discontinued Wink
Setsonics

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why is it so bad?

Crying or Very sad
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it creates muddy basslines, the sounds are far from crisp... there's extra noise that it generates, there are synthesis glitches.... It's a good synth to learn modeling synthesis on.... But for the same price you could buy a software synth that will blow you away...

s**t you could buy native instruments massive with a little bit more and that's perhaps the most potent synth that I have used....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: