Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

INTUITIVE "WRITING"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Song writing - Lyrics & Collaboration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: INTUITIVE "WRITING" Reply with quote

I don't read or write music. I have some theory .... but it's all by ear.

I tend to sit down at my board and just start playing. I don't know what is going to eventuate ... I just let it flow on through.

In the old days, pre-computer, when I used tape and VCRs this meant setting the machines to record and then I'd just tape the entire session of playing whatever came to me ... whether it was a good groove or not. Then I would go over the whole session and pick out what was what I thought of as cool and take that out of the recorded session and start work on that. It was all such a long and slow process.

Now I use a computer, Nuendo. I now set the Nuendo up and do the very same thing, just record a vibe ... a feel or what I consider to be a good line. If it falters I just stop recording and then delete the offending track. I start again, until I get something I really like. This first track can have everything in it, drums for timing, keyboard work, vocals. Then I play that back and start laying down additional tracks, based on that first intuitive line. I find that through this I can actually recreate the song, tweaking what could have been done better. Now I enter in the new drum track(s) and tweak the vocal/lyrics and add whatever I feel I need to make the song happen. In the final analysis I get rid of that initial track and I am left with all parts separated and each track-part worked out thoroughly and usually the initial recording is either mirrored more effectively and clearly or the whole piece has changed, morphed into something much better.

Sit down ... just rip into it .... record it. If it stands you have a template from which to begin work.

Cheers
Tommo
dreamaiden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post tommo. I get that totally. It's a great technique that you've obviously mastered. That's actually how I learned to create music. I also have theory but creating music intuitively was a direct link or channel if you will to my emotional and spiritual source. I spent many years putting myself in the state of the feeling I wanted to express prior to recording and then creating from that space whether it be music, lyrics or what have you. I still do that but can get to the space much more quickly now.

Intuitive writing uses a different part of the brain...an extremely interesting subject. Einstein and many others speak of this technique.

Cheers,
Sioux
Raj_Sangeet
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice information tommo. I do something similar when I am away form my home (or keyboard) as well. I have a small mono digital recorder (Radio Shack) that I keep with me all the time cause you don't know when the inspiration going to hit you. I record what I think is good as work on it later when, that way I don't miss a good line (or idea). Thanks for sharing.
Raj
Carlcat

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Building up the intuition... Reply with quote

It can be encouraged, too, jamming with others can help. Also, laying down some musical idea and adding tracks intuitively, jamming on top of old layers, and doing this like an hour every day for a week, can get the juices flowing.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I plan to do my next song. I have the lyrics, sort of, but no tune, beat, tempo, or arrangement in mind. So I plan to just get a kick drum going for tempo and just start talking/singing my lyrics and improvising on the lines and see how I can mix it up. I don't want straight 8 bar measures repeating twice and then a chorus. 2 verses and a bridge. I do that too often. I just read your post here and feel even more inspired to experiement before I decide on the how the song should go.
album cover
Carlcat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: KIT Reply with quote

Keep us posted, so we can hear some, if you don't mind.

Sometimes I forget to PLAY music, to PLAY around. Some of the best stuff comes about by playing.
gavinm2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might sound strange - but I record vocal ideas and words on my mobile phone!!!!!!!!!!

I use either text for words and/or the video section for riffs, vocal lines etc...

Ever lay in bad and come up with something that you think is the best thing ever? then you fall asleep and its gone......

Once in the studio we have a listen and if we think its OK we record via MIDI and audio..... once you get going a whole new world opens up and the song takes on a new light!

Not lost a single idea now for quite a few years!

Also listen to the basic track in your car - if you like it and can actually stand it - chances are others will also!!!!
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in my time,

It was often called improvisation, whether really intuitive or by trained notation patterns..., but it has worked for all ages, and will continue to be effective in good writing. I do like the description you used...

After spending a lifetime learning and teaching music, I know that it is very hard to do both....I find even today I am still very much "attached" to certain professionally taught methods, and have to "fight around" them in a sense, to really free myself up for some truly new ideas....

There is creation taking place in the best of form, in all personally released musical expression, when it involves these methods, and many I have listened to here at Korgforums, do truly have that deepest art of music expression.

(Mighty good bunch I have known the last 16 months...)

My Regards, John (back for the weekend..) Very Happy
DuJokke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work exactely the same way.. the music is just there, but I have troubles writing it down or playing it because i tend to forget pieces quite fast, as new ones come up Smile It happens veerrryy often that I get my ideas under the shower, then running half wet to my recording equipment repeating in myself over and over the piece I came up with to not forget it Smile

I think there are a lot o musicians who create using uncommon ways Smile
if not ... the most...
paul_courville

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, i push all the buttons, turn all the knobs and record what sounds good.
Cheers,
Cyberdude
www.cyberdudeproductions.com
www.broadjam.com/cyberdude
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Song writing - Lyrics & Collaboration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: