Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to program a pitch bend. ( Tutorial )

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: How to program a pitch bend. ( Tutorial ) Reply with quote

How to program a pitch bend.

Don’t let the title fool you. This is how to do it properly.
For synth sounds, none of this matters, but for acoustic sounds, it makes the difference between sounding like a program in a synth from sounding like a real instrument.

What were going to program is a full octave bend. Basically, I want you so simulate a guitarist sliding his finger up the length of the fret board. So here’s how it’s done.

When ever programming an acoustic sound or performing something with one, don’t just play it like you would a synth sound. Play it like you would a real instrument. Consider that a guitar cannot bend up an octave like you can with the joystick of the Triton. The frets of the guitar will make the sound jump by semitones…so that exactly what you need to do.

The Pitch bend range of the Triton is + or – 8192.
So we know by that then that –8192 to 0 is one octave. So by simply dividing that by 12, we get the semitone values. Which are 682.6 per semitone.

Which then means we need the following 12 bend values for our pitch bend.
+-682.6
+-1365
+-2047
+-2730
+-3413
+-4095
+-4778
+-5461
+-6143
+-6826
+-7509
+-8191

OK..go to page5, and select track 1.
Select Create control data from the menu.
Select Bend, and set the start value to + 8191
Make sure that the beat tick for the Start is set to 1.000 and that the end measure is set to 2.000
Press OK.

Now go to event edit mode and start deleting all the values except anything that is close to the numbers I’ve shown you above. You should only be left with 12 values.
Now you need go to the page on your Triton or Trinity that has the Pitch Values for every track. Trinity users will find this on page 2, and sadly I can’t remember what page you will find this on the Triton..so have a look round.

The reason why I never told you to record an actual note is because your going to beable to keep this data as control data and use if for any song in the future. “”Program one, and use many times”” .

Using the bounce feature you can now bounce this control data into your sequences without the need of programming it again.

Once you get the hang of what’s going on here, and if you know your music, you’ll find that programming this data into beat tick 4 measure 1 works musically better with any sequences you program, and that because this is control data, it will work with any note from any sequence you program in the future.

Ok… Have Fun.

Sharp.

BTW: Here’s another tip just in case someone did not see all the possibilities of this. What if you want to bend the note down rather than up. Does that mean you have to reprogram everything again.  NO.. Just set the Pitch Value on page 2 to –12. And the same control data that bends up, will now bend down without any re-programming. (remember the only limit is your imagination ..there are lots more tricks..but I’ll leave you to discover them )

chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How to program a pitch bend. ( Tutorial ) Reply with quote

Excellent stuff Sharp, a master at work !!

I've learnt loads from the tips and tricks shared by the good people of IA.

This post also relates to the 'Update: Legacy3...' thread, awesome work from all concerned on the sounds, tips, files, newsletter etc.

All this is appreciated.

Cheers Chordial
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to program a pitch bend. ( Tutorial ) Reply with quote

Thanks.

Whoops… a few nasty typos’ in there too.
Anyway. just fixed them.  Smile

Sharp.

Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How to program a pitch bend. ( Tutorial ) Reply with quote

Quote:

Now you need go to the page on your Triton or Trinity that has the Pitch Values for every track. Trinity users will find this on page 2, and sadly I can’t remember what page you will find this on the Triton..so have a look round.

It's also Page 2 (P2:Trk Param) on the Triton and more particularly the two tabs marked 'Pitch T01-T08' and 'Pitch T09-T16'.

Presumably you want us to go there to set the Pitch Bend Range, right ? I guess it must be set to +/- 12 so the maths works.

Another good tutorial stored into the Triton section of my brain, and very much appreciated.

Daz.

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How to program a pitch bend. ( Tutorial ) Reply with quote

Well that very handy that is also on the same page. It’s default is +2, so for this ben tutorial yeph…set it to 12.

Nice  Smile

Sharp. !!!!
beatbrother

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to program a pitch bend. ( Tutorial ) Reply with quote

thank sharp for the tutorial, it really has a authentic guitar feel.  I like it alot and anymore tutorials that you can come up with for acoustic instruments will be greatly appreciated by the non programing  people on this site.   thanks again!  the beatbrother Cool ;D
cnegrad
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: How to program a pitch bend. ( Tutorial ) Reply with quote

Good stuff; time to move this over to "Classic Threads", eh?

-cnegrad

Our Jazz CD: The Deanna Jones Orchestra: "Very First Dance"
http://www.deannajones.com

Our Christian CD: Jacob's Journey: "A Feather In His Hand"
http://www.jacobsjourney.com
Pauloski

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Pith bend for a violin. Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I have to admitt I´m in trouble with this subject. I tried this but (and sorry for my inexperience) I get a distorted sound when I do it. It doesn´t sound bad applied to the guitar but when I try this with a violin or strings it sounds so artificial and not natural. I´d like for example to be able to get a hole octave with the violin (or just few tones up/down) but sounding natural without distorsion. I´d love to know how to do it as I´ve heard some demos like "progressions" for triton studio which make me think it´s possible. Thank you for everything. Regards.
FredrikA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pith bend for a violin. Reply with quote

Pauloski wrote:
Hi everyone. I have to admitt I´m in trouble with this subject. I tried this but (and sorry for my inexperience) I get a distorted sound when I do it. It doesn´t sound bad applied to the guitar but when I try this with a violin or strings it sounds so artificial and not natural. I´d like for example to be able to get a hole octave with the violin (or just few tones up/down) but sounding natural without distorsion. I´d love to know how to do it as I´ve heard some demos like "progressions" for triton studio which make me think it´s possible. Thank you for everything. Regards.

If you think about Progressions II (the Trition Studio demo that comes on the harddrive) you should beaware that the violin and the flute is sampled.
keyboardplayer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey...im pretty new triton owner...
hmm...this doesnt work on me Sad
i think did everything as sharp told but i dont see any difference...
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

No worries, I’ll see about making a SNG file that will allow you to hear this on your own keyboard. It will also give you the opportunity to dismantle it and see exactly what’s going on.

Just give me until Monday. I have a birthday party to go to today, and tomorrow is Mothers day.

Regards.
Sharp.
keyboardplayer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Hello.

No worries, I’ll see about making a SNG file that will allow you to hear this on your own keyboard. It will also give you the opportunity to dismantle it and see exactly what’s going on.

Just give me until Monday. I have a birthday party to go to today, and tomorrow is Mothers day.

Regards.
Sharp.

Hey! I havent read this for long time but if the SNG file offer is still avaiable I would appreciate that very much.

Thanks.
a_shipkov

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: System exclusive for PITCH BAND RANGE Reply with quote

Hi everyone !

Help me please !

I need change PITCH BAND RANGE (during one song) some times by sending SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE MESSAGES from CAKEWALK for one or two channels in SEQUENCER MODE or in COMBINATION MODE.

My problem - I can't understand how write this message right.

I can't find this information in Triton manual.

The same problem with Korg M1-Rack.

But Korg N1 working with SYSEX message very well 'cos his manual contains full information about SYSEX.

Can You help me?

And where in internet I can find full information about SYSEX for TRITON & M1R.

And where I can find exsamples of SYSEX messages 'cos it's difficult to understand all great possibilities of this equipment ?

Thank You

Best wishes Alexander
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't belive I missed this one! Thanx Sharp this is amazing!!!
regards, Lorenzo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Classic Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: